Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed mine last night...it was pretty easy...

(Just thought the board needed a topic, seems a little empty these days!):D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The first time I changed mine, I broke three of those freakin plastic rivots that hold the fairings together underneath. Little bastards were on back order and $2.00/each...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I used to take my bike to the dealer to change the oil, and then I figured out how freakin easy it was and how I was paying them $160 twice a month to do something that I could do in a few minutes myself. If you think that's easy, just keep going. Get a sesrvice manual and change your plugs, brakes, etc when they get bad.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Last time I changed mine I installed one of those magnetic drain bolts that Kawasaki should have put in there in the first place!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I changed mine two weekends ago, and got a little miffed...seems mine (and I guess the rest of them) have a retaining ring around the oil filter that slides into a collar on the motor (Editor's Note: This is not shown as even existing in the Service Manual). Course I couldn't get to the set screw that tightens it down without taking off the fairing. Problem solved for in the future, but it woulda been nice to not hafta take the fairing off......

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmf, I always have taken off my left fairing to change oil, maybe you can do without on the 03s?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by DEZixxer

hmf, I always have taken off my left fairing to change oil, maybe you can do without on the 03s?
theoretically it can all be done without taking off the fairing on the 03 I think....however, with that retaining ring set wrong, it was impossible...next time it'll do without removing the fairing (relocated the retaining ring.)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*sigh* they all go sometime don't they...How much as a new clutch? Did you stick to OEM or is there some type of aftermarket clutch available that I am not aware of.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Originally posted by mred

The first time I changed mine, I broke three of those freakin plastic rivots that hold the fairings together underneath. Little bastards were on back order and $2.00/each...
You got ripped man. I bought a bag of twenty from my dealer for ten bucks. I seem to break at least one every time i remove my fairings so i just got some from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sheesh I never would have thought a thread without naked girls would have attracted this many posts!

How come they don't just put quick release type fairing connections on street bikes...it sure would make it a heck of a lot easier to work on!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by DEZixxer

How did they work, do you have a link?
Work good..picked em up at a local racing shop (auto)...simple, easy and they don't break :)

I think LP makes them too, but they're damn expensive from there. Look around for a local racing shop and call and see if they have them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hey me too. Every single time I have taken the fairing off I brake one or two of those rivits. They suck. I tryed ordering them from the dealer but they tried blowing me off saying the dont order them and dont know the part #. So needless to say, the rivits from their showroom bikes are now helping my fairings stay on. :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
dman: the dealers around here don't carry them in stock. Then they ordered me some and they're freakin on back order.

It would have helped knowing that they had threads on the inner pin. The only ones I've ever seen (on cars), were just push rivots.
Definetly going to look into an alternative...

If anyone wants the part number for the little plastic rivots, it's 92039.

Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery...:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.