Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
With that kind of question, you are going to get all kinds of various responses. Of course we all want the best for our bikes, but everyone has different opinions on why they choose synthetic, semi, or whatever type and brand. I'm sure a search on "oil" would give you countless hours of reading on the topic. Good luck!:D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
there is indeed a difference, but what the difference is causes all our disagreements :)

One thing to make sure of, no matter what oil your gettings, DO NOT get one that is labeled "energy conserving" they contain friction modifiers that will seriously affect how your clutch works. Wet clutches and this oil do not get along.

I myself like Mobil1 full synth 15w50.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am going to go with Shell Rotella T syn. 5W-40. I have read very good reports and studies about it. $12.84 a gal. at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yup, I'm trying the Rotella next as well..I know alot of sport touring guys love it....Just becareful telling some of these zx-6r guys your running that oil in your bike...they'll make fun of you. if your not spending 5+ bucks a quart of oil on your bike you will get flamed....;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just put Rotella 5W-40 in my 6R. I read that it is very close to Mobil Delvac One syn which is better than Mobil 15W-50.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the way I look at it is you have a 8000.00 dollar bike, is it worth putting a cheap oil in it to find out that this is something that matters. I use an oil from castrol called Actevo 4 stroke 50wt, this oil coats the engine all the time, even when the bike is not running. this way you don't get dry starts.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"the way I look at it is you have a 8000.00 dollar bike, is it worth putting a cheap oil in it to find out that this is something that matters. I use an oil from castrol called Actevo 4 stroke 50wt, this oil coats the engine all the time, even when the bike is not running. this way you don't get dry starts."

I agree, but soo many studies have been done that prove higher prices oil doesn't mean better protection....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mobil 1 15W50 here. Meets the viscosity rating for my temperature down here and exceeds the API service grade recommendation. Full synth at half the cost of motorcycle specific oil. It also performed very well in the Sport Rider tests.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The best type of oil to use would be ones from large oil companies, such as Shell and Mobil. When you buy Castrol, Pennzoil, or Valvoline you're basically getting the left-over base stock sold to them from the larger companies. Andy is also correct, expensive doesn't mean better quality. However, that doesn't mean that Pennzoil or Castrol or Motul aren't good oils. As a matter of fact, I think they are fine oils but some of them, not all, won't have as much shearing stability because the base stocks get eaten up by the gears and transmission.

·
Registered
25 Posts
first off, how many cheap oils do you know of that are worth a shit? second off, i didn't mean the higher the price the better the oil. It just so happens that the good oils cost a little more. If you are worried about a few dollars on oil, you don't need to have a streetbike. I work in the oil business and the oil that you claim is the left overs is just as good as the rest, It is all filtered. I would also like to add that once you go full synthetic, you have to stay that way.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
For one, don't get your panties all in a bunch little sissy boy. Secondly, you DON'T work in the oil industry, liar. Another thing is that no one ever said I was worried about a few dollars on oil but one thing I do have to point out is that the difference is almost minimal. Look at how many people have high performance street bikes that have lasted for 80k miles on OEM petroleum/conventional oils. I would also like to add that your bullshit about going synthetic and staying there is just that... bullshit. Everyone knows that once your bike has very high mileage you cannot use synthetic because oil consumption becomes a major concern as well as fuel efficiency.

A friend of mine DOES work for Castrol so I do know for a FACT that smaller oil companies get a much more crude finish of the refined base stock that the majors use. Like I said, it doesn't mean that it is not a GOOD oil. Sure it's filtered, you don't think the smaller companies would refine what they receive? You're nuts... but it still doesn't hide the fact that they are still receiving that base stock.

Why don't you visit www.bobistheoilguy.com and look at their forums. Maybe you'll learn a little about what you like to boast about.

The funny thing is my post wasn't even directed toward you or anyone else, but you took such offense to it! Hahahaha! You should first learn to use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation before claiming to work in a demanding business and shoving your propoganda down other people's throats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
your the one riding a 600, so who is the sissy? I sure would like to know how you know where I do or do not work. I really didn't take offense to any thing you said before, but i seemed to have ruffled your pretty feathers. Don't be such a pussy (did i spell that right?).I am not trying to shove anything down anyones throat, i am simply stating my opinion.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hey! Everybody on the ZX6R forum hear that? If you ride a 600 you're a pussy! Looks like Mr. Penile Extension here thinks that you need to judge a man's worth by his engine size! Hahahhahahaha! It's OK, little sissy boy. Some guys just never develop down there and you have your parents to blame for that.

Oh, and I'd keep your mouth shut about how BIG your engine is because there are people on 500cc engines that will smoke you through the twisties. It's OK, little man - just don't let your Napoleonic complex come through again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not everyone on a 600 is a pussy, just you. Enough of this name calling, childish bullshit, the real reason we are on this forum is to help people out. With that in mind, my choice in oil is actevo from castrol. It has done well in my bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.