Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may know my situation--

i just bought a 250 that had been sitting since 06. it has 10 miles on it (crashed from dealership.)

The guy says that since the bike's been sitting inside, the oil should be fine for a while.

i think that kawasaki does not put special break in oil on the 250. am I right?

what should I do? change the oil now? or ride it up to 50 and change the oil then?

yes, I know that i might as well change now, but I thought I'd ask b/c if it doesn't matter, I'd rather break it in a few miles, then change the oil in order to take out the bits of break in metal.

thanks alot guys. It'd be awesome if I heard from some people who have been in this situation and tried out or have seen oil that's been sitting.

· Registered
401 Posts
Kind of a no brainer, but yes, change it.

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
sorry i must of misunderstood. I was wondering how often do bikes require to change oil. I never owned a bike so no clue about it.
most do it around 3,000 i think.
for MY bike, the manual states every 7500 miles.
ive never gone that long, i usually try to hit close to 3k. but if i go over, im not worried. without having the oil tested you never really know, but even at 3k, most people are changing it early.

· Registered
317 Posts
most do it around 3,000 i think.
for MY bike, the manual states every 7500 miles.
ive never gone that long, i usually try to hit close to 3k. but if i go over, im not worried. without having the oil tested you never really know, but even at 3k, most people are changing it early.
I would of imagined that changing oil on bikes would be more frequent since oil in bikes is used to lubricate clutch as well right? how does 2000 mile intervals sound? and is there oil specially for bikes or regular car oil works?

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
I would of imagined that changing oil on bikes would be more frequent since oil in bikes is used to lubricate clutch as well right? how does 2000 mile intervals sound? and is there oil specially for bikes or regular car oil works?
do a search around the site, specifically the OIL/LUB section.
2000 is likely way too soon. some people do it tho, but its really just a waste.

· Registered
6,606 Posts
Depends how long it's been sitting. It's a good idea to change your oil every 6 months or so, regardless of mileage, as oil breaks down over time due to the acids and junk (technical terms) in the oil.

That said, with the bike not even broken in yet and only 10 miles on it I'd leave it until the 600 mark like nevada suggested and swap it then. You'll be fine.

· Registered
249 Posts
oil should be changed once a year or X number of miles, whichever comes first according to the factory manual

your biggest worry is going to be dirty carbs if there wasn't any stabil added to the gas before storage, and unless you had a tender attached it probably has one hell of a dead battery

i would also check tire pressure, and make sure your brake lines aren't decomposing/nothing is living inside the bike... lol

· Registered
18 Posts
Is there oil specially for bikes or regular car oil works?
The answers to this question will vary wildly depending on who you ask. I've never been shy about spending more for what I believe to be a quality oil. I use Mobile 1 4T in my bike. Runs about $10 a quart around here, but hey the 250s don't even take 2 full quarts so it won't break the bank.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

· Overwhelming Splendidery
13,506 Posts
Do NOT use regular car oil in your bike. You need oil that is JASO MA certified... this is because of the oil being shared between the engine and the clutch.

Regulat car oils generally have additives in them that make them "more slippery", which will do the same thing to your clutch - and that's a very bad thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.