Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nervous the other day because I found a couple oily drips on my garage floor under the bike. I pulled the lower fairings off and it was pretty wet inside. I couldn't really locate a definitive source of the leak.
The only thing I found was a hose that I think I added (meaning; not sure if there was one there before) to the air box. When I did the plugs not too long ago I found a nipple attached to the airbox right between the circular air intakes. This is all upstream from the filter. I ran this hose down the left side of the engine and ends in the approximate location of the wet spot found inside the fairing.
So the question is, why would oil be coming from there? How is it getting there? And should I be concerned?
Bike runs fine, and doesn't smoke (afaik). I have ~8k miles on it.
I cleaned everything off the fairings and the engine case, put it all back together and we'll see how quickly it builds back up.
TIA!

·
Registered
448 Posts
There is a tube that dead ends into a white bottle on my 07 zx6r that connects to the airbox. It is there to catch any oil which accumulates in the airbox. On my bike it comes out of the airbox on the back left side. Sound familiar?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the 650R has a similar tube on the back of the airbox but it exits somewhere else. This one is attached at the front of the airbox.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm trying to think which hose it is. I just had the airbox off on mine. Have you looked at a diagram yet to see if its supposed to be there and if so what it is?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look for a diagram tonight.
Like I said, it's before the filter. The EGR vents after the filter. So theoretically the only thing that should be in that part of the airbox is AIR... and maybe water if you rode in the rain.
I can't figure out how oil is getting there. Once I run the fuel down I'll pull the tank and take the top of the airbox off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Unfortunately I never workes on my 650 before I sold it. As far as I know there isn't a tube on my bike before the filter. I'll try and pull up a diagram to see if I can see what you're talking about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
So this is what I found. From what I can see there is no tube before the filter. I'm not even sure why you'd get oil form there or why there would be a tube there. Is the tube installed in the correct place? Is it supposed to be installed somewhere else?

You may want to put up some pics to give people a better idea. I would check to make sure all the other tubes are in the correct place.

And just to make sure, you're talking about a hose connected in between the intake and the air filter right?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm about 98% certain that I added a hose where there wasn't one before.
I found a pic of the front of the airbox that shows the nipple I'm referring to. It's directly between the 2 intakes on the right side of the picture.
Looking for this pic (on ebay) I learned that it's only like this for 06-08. the 09 and up airbox only has a drain hole, no nipple. Interdasting.
Regardless, I feel the cause of the oil needs to be rooted out. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could there have been some residual oil in the tube that dripped out?

Are you missing a hose somewher?

If there's oil there then it would have needed to pass through the filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts