Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I was in the Air force. I did my time, just in case there are people here that do not know that yet.

There is a guy at work that although we have never hung out outside of work (kind of my choice so far) that I would otherwise consider a friend. He's good shit and we get along really well.

But his stance on something is really pissing me off. I actually got out RIGHT BEFORE (by like a couple of days) before my squad got deployed. One of my friends actually died when they did. A road side bomb took him out. He actually shielded the blast saving everyone else. They just washed the blood and guts out of the vehicle and told them to go back out. Still want to join the Air Force thinking it is safe?

This guy siad that since I did not get deployed to some desert that I did not actually serve my country. Fuck that pissed me off. I will NEVER claim to have seen the action my freinds did and I even feel guilty about that. I actually tired to get deployed and take the place of a guy I knew that just had a kid, but it didn't work out.

So what are you saying? I didn't serve because I didn't walk around in some randome dessert in full gear or I didn't get shot at? Well guess what, I have spent months in full gear and have been shot at while in the service although I wasn't deployed at the time. Not that that fucking matters as far as this argument is concerned. I even have an extended overseas tour ribbon although I will even admit that is kind of bullshit but it is no different then someone that spent there time in downtown france that gets the same thing.

My god, you have never been and you are trying to tell me like it is?

I actually happen to know that boot camp in the Air force is harder to get through then Army boot camp. I met a guy that went through both since he first jpined the Army and got fucked up and sent home then later joined the Air force.

On that note, I am sick and tired of people thinking the Air force is a leisure club. The Air force is the real fucking military. If you think for a second that we did not have to go through the same shit or did not go through the same shit as any other branch after BMT you are mistaken. I actually trained on a Navy base and they where so much more lax about shit then the Air force that it made me wish I joined the Navy instead some times. I even thought myself at first "join the Air Force, it will be better" Well guess what, that is a fucking lie.

I will say that the Marines had it worst then the rest of us since I have met a few of them. Almost all of it is physical standards. I honestly don't think I would have been able to meet the physical requirements to stay in the marine corp but I do know I would have been accepted if I joined. the AF is the hardest branch to get into. As for everything else.. the whole "being true to the corp" shit is honestly about on par. the physical part, while harder in the marines, is not ridiculously harder. I have ran until I have blacked out more then once. I was always a PC nerd before joining and on the test run. I just made the time by seconds and fell to the ground afterwards. I looked back when I came to and saw (AT LEAST 50% OF EVERYONE RUNNING BEHIND ME!). 90+% of those people where kicked out mind you. But that was basic and basic is hard, I later on tested in the top 2 percent of the Air force history. If you look up a list of the top people in mechanic training in the AF I should still be on it.

But that is way off topic. I know damn well that I served my country. I could have done more but I will be damned if anyone tells me otherwise. The funny thing is that the only people that say shit like this (as far as me not serving) have never served themselves. So fuck you.

I mean most of us have guilt but if you joined and made it through, and where not dishonorably discharged you understand what I am saying.

This shit just pisses me off.

But thats besides the point.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Never served in the military, but once you sign on the dotted line, Uncle Sam owns you and you definitely "serve". The military is a team effort and no matter where you are, you're part of the team.....case closed! You can be a target for terrorist no matter where you are stationed....remember the tragedy at Ft. Hood? Thanks for your service, Weebel!

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was partying last night and since i was not sober I just felt like ranting.

I'm not looking for thanks, I just don't like being disrespected, especially in that way.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
You've had a lot of rage related posts lately. You thought about talking to someone about it?

·
Registered
622 Posts
My daughter is in the Air Force, 1stLt, down in Tampa. She's been to AFG twice already. Whether you've been down range or not you've served. I did 20 in the Navy, 16 attached to Marine units. I will have to say the Air Force treats their people better, though. They have the best "dorms" (Navy has barracks and it is crappy) and food I've ever eaten when we flew into USAF bases. You did your part and did exactly what your contract called for.....tell anyone who doubts it to pack sand.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Fuck that guy. I wish he'd say something like that to me. I have almost 18 years of service, and I've been deployed 6 times but never to a desert. I'm in the Navy, so that means I get to float around in the ocean for months at a time and launch aircraft day-in and day-out for what seems like ever. I don't even play a part in the aircraft, other than making the ship get where it needs to be and providing steam so we can launch and recover the aircraft.

This guy never served in the military and wants to judge ANYONE that has? Even people that get dishonorably discharged have served more than he ever will. He can EAD. :2up::2up::2up:

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^^ I personally never got tired of watching the planes land and take off myself. We lived on the end of the runway, you lived under it so it was probably more annoying lol. I cant remember what the deck guys where called anymore, all I remember is color coding or something.

The funnest part for me was doing security for the yearly Air Show. I never god used to having civilians walk up to me and say "excuse me officer" because I was a trans guy in a police vest and they didn't know better. The military was weird that way. Hey you have two hands and a uniform, your guarding the gate this week, then a day later your loading a C5 in 20 below weather at 2am watching the F-15's scramble wondering wtf is going on. Couple of times they had the missiles with the red rings on them, probably Russia fucking around again but they never told us.

Shit dude I would love to be on deck when an FA-18 launched off the catapult but I'm sure after a bajillion times it looses its coolness. I did have the chance to be an F-22 mechanic, probably should have done it.

I'm actually finally making plans to go up to the VA and get a card and be fully put in the medical crap but now the shutdown is happening : /

As far my co worker. His brother joined the army recently and got a DUI when home on leave. They made him come back right away. I jokingly said "he called them up and told them? Shit i would have waited until my leave was up and got back" He then says. "well its different then what you did". Pissed me off again in one week. He then says something about how he singed up for the marines out of highschool and was all packed up to go but then got a possession charge as if that counted some how lol. I just think some people are delusional.

An no I don't need to talk to anyone :p

·
Registered
941 Posts
This guy siad that since I did not get deployed to some desert that I did not actually serve my country. Fuck that pissed me off. I will NEVER claim to have seen the action my freinds did and I even feel guilty about that. I actually tired to get deployed and take the place of a guy I knew that just had a kid, but it didn't work out.

So what are you saying? I didn't serve because I didn't walk around in some randome dessert in full gear or I didn't get shot at? Well guess what, I have spent months in full gear and have been shot at while in the service although I wasn't deployed at the time. Not that that fucking matters as far as this argument is concerned. I even have an extended overseas tour ribbon although I will even admit that is kind of bullshit but it is no different then someone that spent there time in downtown france that gets the same thing.

My god, you have never been and you are trying to tell me like it is?
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Don't let it bother you. It happens all the time.

On that note, I am sick and tired of people thinking the Air force is a leisure club. The Air force is the real fucking military. If you think for a second that we did not have to go through the same shit or did not go through the same shit as any other branch after BMT you are mistaken. I actually trained on a Navy base and they where so much more lax about shit then the Air force that it made me wish I joined the Navy instead some times. I even thought myself at first "join the Air Force, it will be better" Well guess what, that is a fucking lie.
In my "A" school (tech school or MOS school to other branches), we had Air Force mixed in with our classes. They got messed with a whole lot more at that phase of training than we did. We still had duty every third day, frequent uniform inspections, and a curfew, but other than that we had quite a bit of freedom. I even managed to go out in town and buy a car (1986 fat-daddy Lincoln Town Car) and later managed to squeeze in a very unauthorized road trip to San Francisco with some friends of mine. The Air Force types didn't get to do that. That much being said, the Air Force dorms I've seen have been generally nicer than Navy barracks, and Air Force chow is generally better than what the Navy gets, unless you're on a sub or a sub base.

I will say that the Marines had it worst then the rest of us since I have met a few of them. Almost all of it is physical standards. I honestly don't think I would have been able to meet the physical requirements to stay in the marine corp but I do know I would have been accepted if I joined. the AF is the hardest branch to get into. As for everything else.. the whole "being true to the corp" shit is honestly about on par. the physical part, while harder in the marines, is not ridiculously harder.
I once had aspirations of becoming a Marine officer. I went to OCS in Quantico. I tried very hard and didn't make it. It was mostly the physical stuff that got me, and I was in pretty good shape then. A year later I went to Navy boot camp and it was pretty much a joke in comparison. The hardest parts there were staying awake and dealing with morons in my division.

I know damn well that I served my country. I could have done more but I will be damned if anyone tells me otherwise.
Indeed you did. It's an all volunteer force. Even just signing on the line and showing up was a lot more than you had to do.

The funny thing is that the only people that say shit like this (as far as me not serving) have never served themselves. So fuck you.
Indeed. I meet Vietnam vets who went through a lot worse stuff than I ever did. They never have anything bad to say about my service and are usually pleased to learn that I serve as well, even if my job is a lot lot easier than theirs.

Oh, for some background, I'm a Construction Mechanic in the Seabees (aka Naval Construction Force). I fix trucks, bulldozers, generators, and other construction equipment, and sometimes operate said equipment. Seabees are also trained (poorly) to defend ourselves, fighting as infantry, but we're seriously not very good at it. Our construction operations are primarily in support of Marines, but we support all other branches as well. I did two years of active duty, got out for a while, and came back in as a reservist about seven years ago.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
^^ I personally never got tired of watching the planes land and take off myself. We lived on the end of the runway, you lived under it so it was probably more annoying lol. I cant remember what the deck guys where called anymore, all I remember is color coding or something.

The funnest part for me was doing security for the yearly Air Show. I never god used to having civilians walk up to me and say "excuse me officer" because I was a trans guy in a police vest and they didn't know better. The military was weird that way. Hey you have two hands and a uniform, your guarding the gate this week, then a day later your loading a C5 in 20 below weather at 2am watching the F-15's scramble wondering wtf is going on. Couple of times they had the missiles with the red rings on them, probably Russia fucking around again but they never told us.

Shit dude I would love to be on deck when an FA-18 launched off the catapult but I'm sure after a bajillion times it looses its coolness. I did have the chance to be an F-22 mechanic, probably should have done it.

I'm actually finally making plans to go up to the VA and get a card and be fully put in the medical crap but now the shutdown is happening : /

As far my co worker. His brother joined the army recently and got a DUI when home on leave. They made him come back right away. I jokingly said "he called them up and told them? Shit i would have waited until my leave was up and got back" He then says. "well its different then what you did". Pissed me off again in one week. He then says something about how he singed up for the marines out of highschool and was all packed up to go but then got a possession charge as if that counted some how lol. I just think some people are delusional.

An no I don't need to talk to anyone :p
Man, my dad was an airdale and always talks about how much he loved watching the planes. I guess I can see that, but every time I see a cat shot, I just think "Dammit, there goes about 250 gallons of water we made today". I guess it's all perspective.

As far as your coworker is concerned, he's a piece of shit who never would have made it anyways. Once you sign up, you should realize that smoking weed is over until you get out. The ones that don't generally get caught while in service and get booted, because they never change their thought process. Or you can say that they never grew up. I'm not going to say I'm innocent of ever breaking rules or the law since I've been in or I'd be a liar, but I sure as hell was smart about it.

Same with a DUI. There's so many ways to avoid a DUI in the military it's insane. Duty drivers, friends, LPO/supervisors to come get you, Arrive Alive cards etc, and I'm sure the Army has some programs I don't know about. There's NEVER an excuse for a DUI imo, but especially while serving.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I will say the food and living conditions while state side tend to be a bit better then the other branches.

As for the DUI thing, we actually had volunteers that would come get people if they found themselves a little too drunk away from home for free.

As for that possession charge, it wasnt weed but that doesnt matter much.

·
Registered
941 Posts
250 gallons for one cat shot-damn! When I was 11 and my dad got PCS'ed back to Fort McPherson, we moved into a house in the boonies with a 250 gallon LPG tank, so I have a good mental picture of how much that is. Now I'm picturing that much water converted to steam. That's a freaking lot of steam. How many psi are we talking about?

Sorry for the hijack, but the size, technology, and cubic dollars involved in carrier aviation blow my mind.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
250 gallons for one cat shot-damn! When I was 11 and my dad got PCS'ed back to Fort McPherson, we moved into a house in the boonies with a 250 gallon LPG tank, so I have a good mental picture of how much that is. Now I'm picturing that much water converted to steam. That's a freaking lot of steam. How many psi are we talking about?

Sorry for the hijack, but the size, technology, and cubic dollars involved in carrier aviation blow my mind.
1 cat accumulator can shoot about 3 shots before being empty if it's filled to about 550 psi. Yeah, 250 gallons. Overall it's not a ton of water since we make somewhere in the vicinity of 400k gallons of water a day, but I've definitely been on water hours before to support propulsion plant and flight deck operations. It doesn't effect me much since I MAKE the water, but it must suck as a top sider haha.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say you make the water, are you pulling it out of the air using condensation or filtering sea water?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Making fresh water from seawater. I used to hate going down there when they were making water on the Kennedy

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
When you say you make the water, are you pulling it out of the air using condensation or filtering sea water?
Making fresh water from seawater. I used to hate going down there when they were making water on the Kennedy
Yeah, we boil seawater to make pure water. And by pure I mean we regularly make deionized water with less than 0.1 ppm chlorides. Even with the capacity we make, we still have to sometimes go on water hours, which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well on the plus sides, you should have plenty of salt for the Margaritas on shore leave.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts