Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just bought a 2012 ninja 250r that has done about 30k, the previous owner said he hadn’t done an oil change in a while. When taking out the old oil and putting in new filter I noticed the old oil is smelling like fuel. I have put in the new oil and filter but I am wondering if I am needing to do anything about the fuel smell in the old oil and what the next step would be? I haven’t had much experience with pulling apart Carbs so would most likely be taking it in to the mechanic if that’s the direction. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
So when the oil smells like fuel it's usually a pretty bad sign. However, before I go into why if it's running fine and not smoking or leaking anywhere, I'd say run it for about 500-1000 (as long as it continues not to have any of these problems) and then change the oil and filter again. If it smells like fuel still, then you'll have to make some hard calls likely.

Usually when the oil smells like fuel it because it has fuel in it. This usually happens because the rings have gone bad, and the bike either for the same reason or combined reasons no longer burns all of the fuel, so the fuel gets mixed into the oil at some point after entering the cylinder. Often then also results in gaskets and seals failing as a result of the fuel in the oil, which just worsens the problem until the engine all but dies.

However, if the engine is still making good compression, seems to be running normally, and has no leaks and such, it could just be a fluke or coincidence as a result of very old and used oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts