Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided to sell my 07 ninja 250 and get something a bit older and a bit more stable/comfortable for commuting. I do about 175miles a week between cities for work and school. Just want something a bit more comfortable since the suspension on the ninja 250 isnt the best.

Just wondering how do the older 1993-97 ZX6/ZX-6Rs hold up? Also any difference between the ZX6 and ZX-6R moniker? Any advice?

Are there any known issues with these bikes or just as long as they have been maintained I'm all good?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Well I have decided to sell my 07 ninja 250 and get something a bit older and a bit more stable/comfortable for commuting. I do about 175miles a week between cities for work and school. Just want something a bit more comfortable since the suspension on the ninja 250 isnt the best.

Just wondering how do the older 1993-97 ZX6/ZX-6Rs hold up? Also any difference between the ZX6 and ZX-6R moniker? Any advice?

Are there any known issues with these bikes or just as long as they have been maintained I'm all good?

Thanks
The ZX-6 (model code ZX-6E)

The ZX-6 (Or ZX-6E) Is a great all around commuter bike. Classified as a "sport-touring" bike, it is not competitive in the supersport class as it is slightly heavier and down on power compared to the ZX-6R, but has a more comfort oriented upright riding position and cushy seat. They are not slow however, and are capable of wheeling and move nicely under throttle. They employ center driven cam-chains, horizontal draft carburettors, a gas gauge, and are fairly easy to work on. Their reliability is as with any bike that meets it's service intervals, are mildly tuned (compared to their race cousins) and hold up well.

ZX-6R (ZX600F1-3, '95-'97)

The ZX-6R was revamped for '95 and was a purpose-built production race bike. It was completely redesigned from the D-models ('92-'94 I believe) And sported semi-downdraft carbs, advanced (at the time) ram-air induction with pressurized fuel delivery, Shim-under-bucket 16v DOHC, oil and liquid cooling, 103 HP (Not ASE corrected) and weighed in at

about 402 lbs.

Side note: They also take well to turbocharging ;)

Known issues: As I have never had any of either bikes in any of the shops I've worked at for more than routine maintenance or crash repair, I'm going to venture to say they have a pretty good "track record" for performance and reliability. When I was at the first Kawasaki dealer I'd worked for, I looked my VIN up for any recalls or factory directed modifications. There were non.

Cliffs:

Comfort and ease of ride = ZX-6

Performance + chick magnet = ZX6R

Reactions: djpharoah

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The ZX-6 (model code ZX-6E)

The ZX-6 (Or ZX-6E) Is a great all around commuter bike. Classified as a "sport-touring" bike, it is not competitive in the supersport class as it is slightly heavier and down on power compared to the ZX-6R, but has a more comfort oriented upright riding position and cushy seat. They are not slow however, and are capable of wheeling and move nicely under throttle. They employ center driven cam-chains, horizontal draft carburettors, a gas gauge, and are fairly easy to work on. Their reliability is as with any bike that meets it's service intervals, are mildly tuned (compared to their race cousins) and hold up well.

ZX-6R (ZX600F1-3, '95-'97)

The ZX-6R was revamped for '95 and was a purpose-built production race bike. It was completely redesigned from the D-models ('92-'94 I believe) And sported semi-downdraft carbs, advanced (at the time) ram-air induction with pressurized fuel delivery, Shim-under-bucket 16v DOHC, oil and liquid cooling, 103 HP (Not ASE corrected) and weighed in at

about 402 lbs.

Side note: They also take well to turbocharging ;)

Known issues: As I have never had any of either bikes in any of the shops I've worked at for more than routine maintenance or crash repair, I'm going to venture to say they have a pretty good "track record" for performance and reliability. When I was at the first Kawasaki dealer I'd worked for, I looked my VIN up for any recalls or factory directed modifications. There were non.

Cliffs:

Comfort and ease of ride = ZX-6

Performance + chick magnet = ZX6R
+Rep for you man. Thanks a lot. I guess I would be looking at the ZX-6 then as I want comfort and ease of ride. How does one tell what the model is say without stickers? Did they suddenly all become ZX-6Rs after a certain year cuz that is what I am finding out online??

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My friend had a zx6e and it was reliable for its age. Like any older bikes though, things do wear down. Clutch cables, coolant lines, batteries etc etc.

For just a little more you could pull in a 2002 or so zx6r. If you adjust the suspension they are super comfortable.

Even the 05-06 zzr 600's are going for pretty cheap.

None of the above bikes will hit you too hard in the wallet. Just remember, older bikes may require more wrenching. You want a very reliable bike for commuting. If you're comfortable fixing any potential problems get an older, if not I would pay a little extra (initially) on a 2002+.

Tough guy was right on with the differences.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Tough Guy nailed it....

The 95-97 bikes are no slouch....decent blend of riding position for sporting and commuting. Still plenty fast and quite capable.

A zx6d/e is more upright. A buddy had a zx6d...92. I rode it off an on....it felt bigger than it was.

Get out and try some on....for your needs either are solid.

I'd vote for a 95-97....the level of components is better and at least the design is fresh.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend had a zx6e and it was reliable for its age. Like any older bikes though, things do wear down. Clutch cables, coolant lines, batteries etc etc.

For just a little more you could pull in a 2002 or so zx6r. If you adjust the suspension they are super comfortable.

Even the 05-06 zzr 600's are going for pretty cheap.

None of the above bikes will hit you too hard in the wallet. Just remember, older bikes may require more wrenching. You want a very reliable bike for commuting. If you're comfortable fixing any potential problems get an older, if not I would pay a little extra (initially) on a 2002+.

Tough guy was right on with the differences.
Hmm.. good point my man. I'd love a zzr600 from 2002 or so but I don't have that kind of cash. I don't mind wrenching/replacing stuff but here is hoping that it works properly and has not been abused.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i had a 2001 zx6e for 2,000 miles...low seat height and more comfortable and heavier than an ss...sold it and got an 05 zzr600, which is right between a new generation ss and 6e for comfort, power and handling

·
Registered
53 Posts
i would agree with the rest of the guys, just get a zzr600...parts will be easier to find for them instead of the f and e series also.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tough Guy nailed it....

The 95-97 bikes are no slouch....decent blend of riding position for sporting and commuting. Still plenty fast and quite capable.

A zx6d/e is more upright. A buddy had a zx6d...92. I rode it off an on....it felt bigger than it was.

Get out and try some on....for your needs either are solid.

I'd vote for a 95-97....the level of components is better and at least the design is fresh.
....yeah, it's still plenty FAST my 96 ZX6R still hangs pretty well with my buddy's '06 R6 ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Like yourself, I started with a ninja 250 then went up to the '96R I had now for more 3 than years and still loving it! Go with the '95-'97 ZX6R and I assure you, you won't regret it.

Good luck ninja250n00b!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like yourself, I started with a ninja 250 then went up to the '96R I had now for more 3 than years and still loving it! Go with the '95-'97 ZX6R and I assure you, you won't regret it.

Good luck ninja250n00b!
Thanks man - I so want to stay with a Kawasaki cuz of the love of my first bike and this forum. Great place with knowledgeable people.

I want to get a 95-97 ZX6R just got to find one in my budget and hopefully the insurance isn't rape.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
+Rep for you man. Thanks a lot. I guess I would be looking at the ZX-6 then as I want comfort and ease of ride. How does one tell what the model is say without stickers? Did they suddenly all become ZX-6Rs after a certain year cuz that is what I am finding out online??
Like I said, two completely different bikes and two very different platforms. The parts are not interchangeable, frames, engines, fairings are all different. They share little in common with each other save the fact they both have four cylinders and two wheels.

ZX600F-3 ('97 6R) --------------------------- ZX-6 (ZX-6E '93-'01, ZZR600 '03-'05)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts