Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the opportunity to take my ZX6R out to Circuit of the Americas in Austin this past weekend, and play around with all the fast peeps. The track surface is unfreakinbelievable; so damn smooth and plenty of grip. In TX, we're used to riding/racing on track surfaces that are less than ideal (bumps, seams, water seepage issues, etc etc), so it was pretty nice being able to just ride a track for once without worrying about where to avoid the bumps and sketchy portions of the track.

Granted, it was COTA, so lots of expensive bikes out there. I proudly displayed my bug covered, primered, pretty much stock 06 ZX6R, and had a blast railing out there. Loved the heavy braking zones/having the rear end get all light on you as you downshifted from 6th to 2nd. Most satisfying part of those braking zones is passing multiple people on the brakes right before you tip it in. Fun ass track! Little action shots from this past weekend.

1st lap is a warm up lap, and then the real fun begins when I'm playing around with my buddies. Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNd06dOBuhI

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
You should have been going all the way down into 1st :p

Hoping to get my videos up this week or early next.
-Cody

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell nah brah!

Lol I tried it a few times Cody, and needless to say, me no likey; it's way too twitchy to my liking in 1st. Had a good drive in 2nd, so stuck with that.

Also didn't help that I started having a bucking issue when downshifting into 1st/engine braking while coming back into pits, like it would slip, then suddenly grab again. Going to do a semi-transmission tear down to inspect everything, and hopefully not have issues with the gears/dogs themselves. Otherwise... fackkkkk. Splitting the case=lame. I envy your later year model bikes sometimes.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'm in first gear 5 different times on that track. Twitchy is in the hand of the throttle holder :)

Sucks about the transmission. I'm lucky that if I ever had transmission issues, its just a matter of swapping out a cassette style one. I feel for you...haha
-Cody

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My throttle control is pretty decent, but I think it's just cuz I'm a big pussy when it comes to the front wheel coming up lol. If I have the funds and decide to go back to COTA, then I can try going into 1st more often. But srsly though, that low gear range on my bike is very twitchy ha.

I wish I had that luxury of being able to swap out the trans if it comes down to that. Just waiting on the clutch hub holding tool to come in, and then I'll drop the pan and see what parts are worn out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts