Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, so I recently put a " newer engine" in my 03 zx6r. Once it was fully hooked up I started it. First of all the bike backfired in idle and still does unless rpms are over 3,000. But the other issue is that I have neutral, no first gear, I have second gear and no other gears. Qhen I try to shift it with my hand its almost like it wants to shift up but its not pushing past something. My first project so open to all ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi and Welcome,
First off are you trying to shift gears with the Bike stationary as in not riding it ?
My thoughts are you have the shift linkage fitted in the wrong direction and you can get 1st and Neutral but can't get it into 2nd with the Bike stationary.
Kawasaki's positive Neutral finder won't allow the selection of 2nd gear unless the Bike is either being ridden or ran up on a paddock stand allowing the rear wheel to turn..
Can you get a photo up of the gear change ?

This is what it should look like with the Rose joint at the lowest point on the Gear change shaft elbow..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea the bike wont shift while riding. So I have neutral the bike starts but when I kick it down out of neutral it won't even click into first gear. But if I shift up into second out of neutral it will shift into second. But it won't shift any higher. Than second. So shortened up I have neutral and second but won't shift into any other gears.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So you select 2nd gear and pull away normally but it won't change Gear ?
It should not be able to select 2nd Gear from a stand still only 1st & Neutral plus pulling away in 2nd must mean your almost slipping the clutch to stop the Engine stalling !

Please confirm you have the Gear change Linkage attached as per my Picture above ?

Something is very not right, This Newer Engine sounds like it had an issue prior to install, Did you know anything about it before you purchased ?

Have you tried selecting the gear you can get, Pulling away then pushing the lever down into Neutral and down again to see of you can select any gears that way, So reverse of what is a normal shift pattern....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea so today I pulled the picture up and put it next to my bike and it wasn't on right so I changed it and now I have all 6 gears!! Thank God I was beating myself up over it. Thanks man for the help!! 🙏

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thats kinda what mines doing but its not as many times in a row they are loud as hell and sometimes th bike will die. It smells like gas super bad so I'm just gonna take it to get it tuned

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yea so today I pulled the picture up and put it next to my bike and it wasn't on right so I changed it and now I have all 6 gears!! Thank God I was beating myself up over it. Thanks man for the help!! 🙏
Glad it's sorted now and at no expense is a Bonus ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts