Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was last night heading home with my new little modification in my backpack. Hey, I need gas so I stop and "fill er up."

Get the bike in the garage drop my stuff and get some tools. Undo the stock cap bolts and remove the assembly. Here is the ooooops. There is a little rubber gasket about the diameter of a pencil that slides up the side of the tank opening. I try to grab it with needle nose pliers but it just moves further into the recess.

Okay, time to get serious. Put the bike up on the rear stand which apparently changed the angle enough that the little rubber gasket slips into the FULL tank of gas.

My little project ended with me removing the tank, draining all of the gas and removing the fuel pump to get that little gasket. OH YEA!

Well, I got the gasket and put everything back together. Another valuable lesson learned. At least that is how I am going to look at it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
haha...ya that sux man, but don't feel bad, because I don't think there's anyone on here that hasn't had AT LEAST a few learning experiences like yourself

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
what gasket is there that you have to remove? i have removed my gas cap a few times and never found a gasket???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock cap assembly has the main gasket that seals against the main tank opening. There is also a small one that sits in the perimeter of the cap assembly and the tilting part of the cap has a small pinpoint extrusion that extends into this small gasket. I do not know hwat it does, but can tell you I was not having any fun tearing the stuff apart to clear my mistake. Too anxious will always cost you in the end.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just replaced my tank this past weekend as well. California emissions for us!

The little 'gasket' as you call it, is actually the seal for the vent tube that runs down into the lower fairing. This would keep gas from overflowing and running down the side of the gas tank if you overfilled it by accident.

I found the easiest way to reinstall it was to lay it on the tube opening and then carefully set the gas cap assembly back down on the tank, then just screw it back down.

Dont forget the loctite!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.