Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of riders wearing open face helmets, they seem to enjoy the "openness" these offer but are they safe enough?

I was checking them out online and saw a nice one I liked here

Your experiences?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think full face is always safer. I seen lots of crash footage where a rider would go down and hit their cheek area or chin... if it wasn't a full face helmet they were wearing then their face woulda been FUBAR. If you ride really calm and slow I guess a open face is okay but all the bugs and shit... f that..

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If I hadn't binned I'd post a pic of the helmet I was wearing in my last off four years ago. I slid down the road on my face. with an open face helmet I'd have lost half of my jaw and an eye.

In fact the only injury was a broken thumb from where the bars kicked back and folded it under my hand.

ATGATT works.

Rob

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Someone not as lazy needs to put up the helmet with the hit percentages on it. Here's a hint, the bulk is on the lower half of the helmet. Even more, the chin bars seemed to take a good amount of hit. Not to mention the number of post crash helmets I have seen with scratches across the shield.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I would absolutely wear a full-face helment. It's not worth risking your face in any way if you can prevent it. Besides, I have been hit in the face/chin area by bugs and rocks a few times and thank God I had a full-faced helmet! Those damn things show no mercy!

·
Registered
653 Posts
they make modular helmets that can convert from a full face to a open face...try those

·
Registered
102 Posts

The helmet you linked to doesn't cover the areas of most impacts statistically. I like my face the way it is. Full face only. I also don't trust modular helmets, regardless of what people say abut them.

My EXO700 did its job wonderfully and saved my face when I had my get off last year. I cringe to think what would have happened to me was I not wearing it.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Here's a fun tidbit:

From insurance claims years ago one company compiled a list of impact locations (on a helmet) and determined the most likely locations for impact. More than half the time you go down you will likely impact your chin or nose and thus be unprotected from an open face helmet.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
they make modular helmets that can convert from a full face to a open face...try those
Those things are pieces of shit. Loud, heavy, and they still don't crash well. There is no replacement for a real full faced helmet.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I've seen a lot of riders wearing open face helmets, they seem to enjoy the "openness" these offer but are they safe enough?

Your experiences?
No, not safe. Then again neither are motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts

Your experiences?
When I want "openness", I ride with the visor open. If you're riding a scooter or something around town an open face may be fine but when riding highway on a 600, I would hate to have the wind and bugs tear into my face all day (safety concerns about those helmets aside).

All in all, I don't like them for comfort and safety reasons.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
As said being on two wheels is not safe, especially when you can commute on 4 (in a car). Full-face is the safest of the helmet types and it offers superior bug protection over the half-helmet you linked which will come in handy even if you never go down in your lifetime (which is the goal and reasoning behind riding vs strictly sticking with a cage)

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
And when the lock breaks as you bounce down the road you'll wish you had bought a full face.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
And when the lock breaks as you bounce down the road you'll wish you had bought a full face.
That's what concerns me. They say it won't break but if there is a potential for it to happen, I bet it would happen anyway. Less worries with a full-face helmet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts