Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I'm looking into purchasing a Kawasaki motocycle, but I don't know what's best for my use. I will probably do long trips and approx. 5k to 6k a summer. Is a Ninja 650 ABS good and comfy or I should look into a ninja 1000 or Z1000? What do you guy's think? I would like to have Ninja and Z1000 owner's to give me there imput on this.

thank you all in advance

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a z1000 and an ER6n (naked 650).
Here are some thoughts
Get a bike with fairings for touring- Ninja 1000 or Ninja 650
If you are new to riding, get the 650. I am glad I didn't start out on the z1000.
z1000 cons - heavy, gets low 30mpg, and has an uncomfortable seat.
pros - fast, better suspension than 650

650 - cons - lots of vibrations from the twin, slower than z1000
pros - more comfortable than the z1000, lighter, quick off the line, 40+ mpg, super agile in city riding situations, better for newer riders.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are a new rider, get the 650. A 1000 is just a bad accident waiting to happen for an inexperienced rider. The differences between the bikes are negligible besides obvious power differences.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
1000 if you have experience, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 650 however, comfortable and made for touring, vibration is minimal, the 1000 is just more power and more refined but it comes at the cost of more than triple the insurance cost, much less gas mileage and more expensive to buy of course.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1000 if you have experience, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 650 however, comfortable and made for touring, vibration is minimal, the 1000 is just more power and more refined but it comes at the cost of more than triple the insurance cost, much less gas mileage and more expensive to buy of course.
I agree with most of this, but my personal experience with the costs associated were a little different.

My insurance for full coverage was definitely more for the z1000 than for the 650, but more like $1000 for the Z1000 and $650 for the 650 (about a dollar a cc per year). So my insurance was about 50% more for the z not 300% more. I'm also close to 40, married and have a clean driving record, along with multiple policy discounts.

I also purchased my '05 z1000 for less than I got my '09 650. I think I overpaid for my 650, and the z is a bit older so that stacks the deck a little.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you are a new rider, get the 650. A 1000 is just a bad accident waiting to happen for an inexperienced rider. The differences between the bikes are negligible besides obvious power differences.
I just lost a young friend about two weeks ago who wrecked on a z1000 that he had owned for less than a week. He was a relatively experienced rider too. Dirtbikes since he was a kid as well as a Ninja 250 for about a year.

Choose your bike carefully.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
I just lost a young friend about two weeks ago who wrecked on a z1000 that he had owned for less than a week. He was a relatively experienced rider too. Dirtbikes since he was a kid as well as a Ninja 250 for about a year.

sorry to hear.

My progession of bikes was as follows:

50cc scooter(rental 3 times 3 days)>chinese 150scooter(2 weeks)>2010 Ninja 250r(8 months 13k miles)>2012 650(7 months 13k miles)>2012 ZX6r current(14k miles so far 7 months.

I can honestly tell you that the gradual increase in motor size is of upmost importance, gradual power increase with a lot of saddle time on each machine I would not be accident free for 2.5 years if I had started on a faster bike than I did, it also takes at least 3 months for your body to fully connect with the new bike, to learn it's limitations and feel of the machine, once you feel like the bike is an extension of you then you are good.

You can kill yourself on any bike, even a 250, but the bigger the bike the more experience needed mostly to know when it is safe to go fast and when it is not.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Im sorry to hear that.

I agree with most of this, but my personal experience with the costs associated were a little different.

My insurance for full coverage was definitely more for the z1000 than for the 650, but more like $1000 for the Z1000 and $650 for the 650 (about a dollar a cc per year). So my insurance was about 50% more for the z not 300% more. I'm also close to 40, married and have a clean driving record, along with multiple policy discounts.

I also purchased my '05 z1000 for less than I got my '09 650. I think I overpaid for my 650, and the z is a bit older so that stacks the deck a little.
I dont think the 05 Z1000s have the same engine as the newer models which could definitely be why. The new models share the same engine as the ZX10R, detuned and a few other changes, but they have the same vin numbering system. So many insurance companies rate the new Z1000s and Ninja 1000s as ZX10Rs which make them incredibly expensive to insure. Progressive wanted like 4,000 dollars a year for me. You must have state farm because that is who I have and they are one of the few companies that was reasonable because they base insurance of CCs, not vin numbers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@venom - I agree with the progression idea. Sort of like what I did 650 to 600 sportbike to z1000.
@ jayson - 1st gens definitely have a smaller motor (953cc vs 1043cc for newer models). I also have Farmer's Insurance (actually motorcycles through them are insured by Foremost).

Thanks for your condolences, I wrote a bit more about it on a different forum. here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Dazo for the lost of your friend, thanks for all the replys. Yeah i'm a new driver So a 650 ninja will probably be my choice. Will there be any annoying vabrations for my usual cruising speeds of 120 km/h(74mph), and will it have plenty of highend torque to pass on the highway. Is there a Ninja year not to touch because of issues??? Is there any specific things I need to check of these bikes before purchasing if I don't by new?

thank you to you all

·
Registered
126 Posts
@mustang - I found the parallel twin to produce a lot of vibrations in general as compared to an i-4. However, it never bothered me, especially at highway speeds. I also found the 650 to be plenty powerful. I usually cruise at 80mph on my usual highway commute, and I could still get around cars no problem.

I really think that the 650 is a great bike for a newer rider, enough power, but not too much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
thank you dazo, is there any years in the Ninja 650 models that add more problems then others?
not sure about that, maybe do a search? Also ask around on riderforum, lots of good info over there too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry Dazo for the lost of your friend, thanks for all the replys. Yeah i'm a new driver So a 650 ninja will probably be my choice. Will there be any annoying vabrations for my usual cruising speeds of 120 km/h(74mph), and will it have plenty of highend torque to pass on the highway. Is there a Ninja year not to touch because of issues??? Is there any specific things I need to check of these bikes before purchasing if I don't by new?

thank you to you all
Well I'm a new rider too and recently got a 2012 Ninja 650 as my first bike. My take from a newbie perspective is the Ninja 650 is very comfortable and barely no vibrations. It has passing power on basically every gear. I pushed it to the max(132mph) just once on a empty highway and it had no struggle at all getting there quickly. I basically beat every car off the line without even trying. Whatever speed I'm going, I can pass easily and hit 20mph faster almost instantly. Going from 60mph to 80/90mph to pass and slow back down is almost a daily thing for me on the highway.

Throttle sensitivity is perfect for new riders and is comparable to my friend's Ninja 250 that I used to practice on. You really have to consciously twist the throttle to go into warp speed, so the risk of getting yourself in trouble cause you mistakenly twist the throttle is pretty low. Like everyone says, this bike is very forgiving. Rode my uncle's FZ8 for a day and I'm thankful I'm starting out on a Ninja 650 instead of a bigger CC or SuperSport bike.

Improvements the 650 could have is the front brakes, sound of the exhaust, and the clutch lever. The front brakes seem mushy. They work fine as I had a couple of close calls and it performed well, but the way they feel when doing average braking can give you a lack of confidence of how reliable they are. I'm a new rider, so maybe my judgement is wrong on that. With the exhaust, it's too quiet. Especially in third and forth gear speeds. Sounds great in first gear and at speeds over 70mph. Pull in the clutch and you basically hear nothing in traffic. I will eventually get an aftermarket exhaust. The clutch lever I would like to be softer and maybe shorter. Sometimes it still sores my hand in slow stop n go traffic. I'll probably end up replacing that too with aftermarket.

·
Registered
215 Posts
thank you dazo, is there any years in the Ninja 650 models that add more problems then others?
The 2012 650 does not have the mounts/lugs for a topcase already installed - all the previous models did, as does the 2013 because of the uproar it caused

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well I'm a new rider too and recently got a 2012 Ninja 650 as my first bike. My take from a newbie perspective is the Ninja 650 is very comfortable and barely no vibrations. It has passing power on basically every gear. I pushed it to the max(132mph) just once on a empty highway and it had no struggle at all getting there quickly. I basically beat every car off the line without even trying. Whatever speed I'm going, I can pass easily and hit 20mph faster almost instantly. Going from 60mph to 80/90mph to pass and slow back down is almost a daily thing for me on the highway.

Throttle sensitivity is perfect for new riders and is comparable to my friend's Ninja 250 that I used to practice on. You really have to consciously twist the throttle to go into warp speed, so the risk of getting yourself in trouble cause you mistakenly twist the throttle is pretty low. Like everyone says, this bike is very forgiving. Rode my uncle's FZ8 for a day and I'm thankful I'm starting out on a Ninja 650 instead of a bigger CC or SuperSport bike.

Improvements the 650 could have is the front brakes, sound of the exhaust, and the clutch lever. The front brakes seem mushy. They work fine as I had a couple of close calls and it performed well, but the way they feel when doing average braking can give you a lack of confidence of how reliable they are. I'm a new rider, so maybe my judgement is wrong on that. With the exhaust, it's too quiet. Especially in third and forth gear speeds. Sounds great in first gear and at speeds over 70mph. Pull in the clutch and you basically hear nothing in traffic. I will eventually get an aftermarket exhaust. The clutch lever I would like to be softer and maybe shorter. Sometimes it still sores my hand in slow stop n go traffic. I'll probably end up replacing that too with aftermarket.
All stock exhausts sound like ass - I put a 2 bros pipe on my Connie not long after I bought it, and bought an Akropovic full system for my 650 (that I never installed) I'll make you a hell of a deal on it if you're interested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you a brand new rider or experienced? IF brand new just get a 500 or 600... I mean how fast do you really need to go anyway? The speed limits at max are 70... and can easily be done with either of those 2 bikes I listed. If not do whatever you want!! You should know what you can handle by now if you've been riding

·
Registered
215 Posts
are you a brand new rider or experienced? If brand new just get a 500 or 650... I mean how fast do you really need to go anyway? The speed limits at max are 70... And can easily be done with either of those 2 bikes i listed. If not do whatever you want!! You should know what you can handle by now if you've been riding
ftfy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts