Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and looking to buy a jacket, but I'm fairly small (37 inch chest) so a lot of the time, my size is sold out at most places. I also have a small budget; nothing over $200.

Both my parents rode motorcycles way back when and used plain leather jackets.

How effective/safe would just a plain leather jacket be and are there any specifics I should look at? I want a GOOD jacket, but just don't have the cash.

Any other recommendations are welcome as well.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
plain leather won't have any padding or armor, but it should hold up very good against road rash. It's better than nothing or a textile jacket. But still don't get a plain leather jacket that is .03mm thin that won't do shite either. Keep an eye out on classifieds, many times members sell jackets, or you can post a WTB classified.

I'd sell you my old dainese jacket with armor but it would be too large for you (euro size 50 which is a US 40 btw in case you didn't know).

You MIGHT be able to fit into a Euro 48 as the padding in it may help fill it out some. If you have any cycle gears local, go there and check out brands, then go hit up internet sites where you'll get a better price. With a cap of 200 bucks, your options are somewhat limited though aside from someone selling the right size used.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That is plenty of money to spend on a jacket. Honestly, while leather is superior, I don't see why getting textile for your first jacket is a problem. As long as you aren't planning on going down 100+ mph I think a nice textile jacket will offer you plenty of protection.

And you can find many available for around 1/2 of what your budget is.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
That is plenty of money to spend on a jacket. Honestly, while leather is superior, I don't see why getting textile for your first jacket is a problem. As long as you aren't planning on going down 100+ mph I think a nice textile jacket will offer you plenty of protection.

And you can find many available for around 1/2 of what your budget is.
Noone plans to go down, at all. I would say instead of cheaping out and getting a textile, just keep saving and put it towards a good leather jacket. Two things I never skimped on with motorycles, gear and tyres. Always buy the best of both. Yes I've had textile jacket and rode in it but TBH I didn't feel safe in it as if it would protect me in the event of a crash. Certainly not the last one I had where I slid a good 40-50 feet on the concrete on my left forearm/shoulder. Leather jacket still has the rash but there is no way a textile jacket would have held up. I washed the front around 45mph in a left turn and slid a good bit.

I'm not going to stir up the textile vs. leather debate, I just think of it from a pragmatic standpoint. Guy has 200 quid to spend now and WANTS a leather jacket. I think it's stupid to blow it or half of it on something that he'll still want to replace down the line. Save up another hundred or so and he's into good leather jacket land. Getting a textile now, depletes his savings and he definitely sounds as if he wouldn't be satisfied with a textile for the interim.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,505 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plain leather won't have any padding or armor, but it should hold up very good against road rash. It's better than nothing or a textile jacket. But still don't get a plain leather jacket that is .03mm thin that won't do shite either. Keep an eye out on classifieds, many times members sell jackets, or you can post a WTB classified.

I'd sell you my old dainese jacket with armor but it would be too large for you (euro size 50 which is a US 40 btw in case you didn't know).

You MIGHT be able to fit into a Euro 48 as the padding in it may help fill it out some. If you have any cycle gears local, go there and check out brands, then go hit up internet sites where you'll get a better price. With a cap of 200 bucks, your options are somewhat limited though aside from someone selling the right size used.
So three more inches would be TOO big? What about combined with a sweater?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you want it to fit snug, so it doesnt move when you're sliding down the road.

a regular leather jacket would work, and be better than nothing for sure.

you say your budget is $200?
save up just a bit more and get a GOOD jacket.

I think I will do that. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
from my personal experience; do yourself a favor and save for a good leather jacket. it will not compare to fit and feel to a textile or a shitty leather jacket.

my first jacket was a textile which i regret buying. the only time i use it is for the rain.

if you wear a textile then go to a leather you'll realize why leather is better. if you go from a leather (properly fitting one) to a textile you will feel very vunerable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You're a new rider, do you have any protective jacket?

I agree that leather is always better, but if it's the difference of riding with or without a jacket for the time being, the weather allows it and he(or anyone) can find one that fits...I say go for it.
It doesn't hurt to have multiple jackets for weather conditions and just how you're feeling.
I bought a Text/Mesh with a rain liner for about $100 on closeout and I was worried about it too but it feels build like a tank. Not relative to leather.

For me the issue is being in Chicago, hot Summers but I want to ride most of the year as well as a low budget.
So far it's worked out great but I am looking tons to grab a leather now.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
If you're a little guy I'd suggest looking into rs taichi as a brand. I'm pretty small myself and I've found most of the american made stuff fits very tubby. Hahaha. I've never had an issue with buying a jacket used as any damage will be apparent. You do not need to splurge on new gear if you can find something good that fits used. My current jacket cost just over half of new, looks brand new, and fits great. Keep your eyes open.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I had a textile as my first jacket, and then found a Dainese Laguna Seca jacket on clearance at Cycle Gear for half the price of MSRP. It's a WORLD of difference, and I don't wear anything else.

As far as someone mentioning the difference between a good leather jacket and a cheap one, I can't agree more. I also own a leather Alpinestars jacket I bought on CL for a really cheap price. The difference between it and my Dainese jacket is bigger than my Cortech textile jacket was to the Dainese. I don't even wear the A* jacket anymore, and it fits fine. It's just the quality is so much better in Dainese I don't WANT to wear the A* jacket anymore. I just keep it around because it's green to match the bike haha.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a Dainese‎ textile jacket since I live in Las Vegas and it gets way too hot for leathers for me. So I'll have to keep saving for some leathers.

Thank you everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts