Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 08 zx6r that I'm planning on selling in the very near future.

The front fairing is damaged and needs to be replaced. I'm planning on buying an unpainted fairing and taking it to my work to have it painted. I am contemplating buying a rear seat cowl and having them both painted at the same time.

Would it be a waste of money/too much hassle to buy the cowl or would it increase the value of the bike when I finally do sell the bike?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Depends on who you sell to. But if they want a seat cowl they can just get it themselves, I wouldn't bother. You aren't going to increase the value enough for it to make it worth getting the cowl, I don't think. Normally when someone sells a bike they are just throwing in parts and accessories anyway because they don't have a use for them anymore, not to get more money.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Repairing/replacing the damaged fairing is a good idea because most people are going to use it as leverage to get a lower buying price, but accessories and mods don't increase a bike's value at all so don't bother with the seat cowl.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
448 Posts
Repairing/replacing the damaged fairing is a good idea because most people are going to use it as leverage to get a lower buying price, but accessories and mods don't increase a bike's value at all so don't bother with the seat cowl.

You also should weigh cost to repair with how much lower the price would need to be to sell. If replacing a fairing will cost $500 but will only raise the price by $200 it might not even be worth fixing.

As for the cowl, I doubt you will recoup your money for it. Typically add ons don't raise the value much if anything from what I've seen.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
You also should weigh cost to repair with how much lower the price would need to be to sell. If replacing a fairing will cost $500 but will only raise the price by $200 it might not even be worth fixing.
True. It depends on the customer too. If someone's looking to buy it to make into a track bike and plans on putting a race fairing on the front anyway, they may not be bothered by the fact that it has damage.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I love seeing those ads, or "small scuff from tipping over in the garage, while it has an 8" long scrape mark down the side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, looks like everyone is confirming my suspicions. "No-go" on the cowl.

It's hard to say if the fairing will be worth replacing since I don't know how much I'll actually be getting for the bike...I do know that it will make it sell faster, and there will be less hassle over the price, and that seems like a good enough reason for me.

I will not tell some one it has never been dropped, but at the same time it will
not be something that I am advertising. If they ask I will gladly tell them(I've got to be able to sleep at night).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts