Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a question here... planning to order something from streetfighters-usa and I'd like to know what kind of taxes I should expect..

they say they'd ship the package with Global Express Mail.. will I have custom fees or something as annoying as UPS?

the subtotal is 93.90 plus 22$ of shipping..

I'm the kind of guy that likes to know all the costs before spending my cash :) so any of you could give me some insight? :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
is global express mail the same as: united states parcel sevice?? (NOT UPS)
If it is, its a $5.00 brokerage, they will just charge you GST and PST on your declaired value. under 80.00 is free of taxes.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Like cutie saidfor UPS. USPS is the way to go, just taxes, and you only have to go the post office to pick it up. UPS sucks donkey dick, you gotta go all the way to the fuckin UPS store to pick it up and then try explaining yourself to the fat cow behind the counter that just stares at you like you're fuckin Bin Laden.

I order stuff ALL THE TIME from the states, save big money, and also Britian now that their pound took a pounding (no pun intended)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Global express is USPS. Its their version of Canada Post Express Post. I've order many things this way and always get them within 10 business days. The larger the package the longer it stays in customs. Thats what I've discovered. Small items usually only take 4-5 days.

Since its USPS there is no brokerage fee as mentioned already. You will need to pay tax though on pick-up. If you're lucky like I have been on a number of items, you won't have to pay any duty either.

I still havn't figured out that whole system. Some things you pay duty others you don't. The guys in customs are [:M116] crack!

·
Registered
282 Posts
just an intresting story, my bf and i thought it would make a good daytrip to go the states to pick up some race tires at the ups store. Try getting that threw the border. . . We spent 2 hours waiting at the border. (yes we are both record free). We saved money on shipping, but i would never do it again, the way that those people interagated us was a little outrageous/:(

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Tell the shipper to send it as a gift with a low value through USPS...or "warranty replacement with a low value through UPS or whatever courier it is. You get charged the tax on the declared value so if it's low enough you don't get any charges but if it's expensive LOOK OUT!!!! Most places are cool and will try to help you out if you ask them to. I've ordered TONS of stuff from the States (Sorry but Canadian prices simpliy don't compare!) and haven't paid much in the way of taxes or brokerage fees....just remember to mention it to the seller first.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is true. I got a Suomy helmet from California and paid only $420CAD with shipping. These go for $1000 min here. They declared the value at $280 I think and only had to pay a bit of taxes.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by 250 cutie
just an intresting story, my bf and i thought it would make a good daytrip to go the states to pick up some race tires at the ups store. Try getting that threw the border. . . We spent 2 hours waiting at the border. (yes we are both record free). We saved money on shipping, but i would never do it again, the way that those people interagated us was a little outrageous/:(
Thats weird, I get my tires from the US annualy, I have them ship it to a fedex or UPS depot across the border (20 minutes from my house) and go over and pick it up. Of course I might not have mentioned the tires.. :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
little update just for kicks

ordered the parts, cost was 136$can shipping included.. WAY below my dealership, who quoted me 188 + tax + shipping

so now I play the waiting game...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Actually I just had my gloves shipped here from Michigan and they were $130 CAN shipped. They tried to charge me $57 for customs, but I got the invoice fixed and now it's not costin me anything!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.