Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first they told me it was going to be 207 ...then they added oil at like 3 bucks a quart(nonsynthetic of course) and filter (11$) and tax.......i should have brought ky...cause i feel i got raped...took them less then a hour and a half to do

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Did you at least get a kiss?:D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Should have asked us about the first service...
We would have told you that it only consists of an oil and filter change
You would have saved about $190 by doing it yourself.

BC.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The 600-mile service includes more than just an oil and filter change. For a list of all scheduled maintenance, check out your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
After the 1000 mile service, you should start doing services yourself. Until you get to around 10 or 15K, then the valves need to be checked among other things that are hard to do if you're not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Just because the service manual SAYS it needs more than a LOF, doesn't mean that your dealer is going to DO everything on the list.

BC.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I recommend bringing it into the dealer for the first service only.....that's if you trust them....

The guys at my dealer checked, or at least said they did, every nut and bolt as well as the normal oil and filter change....

They really should be going right down the list and looking for any kind of manufacturer's defect that could go unnoticed to the untrained eye...

I don't exactly trust myself to notice everything....shit, sometimes I forget to get gas...I'd rather leave it to someone who gets paid to notice

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Oh man, I feel bad! They only change your oil and filter on the first service. The rest about checking fluids, torque values, cables/wires/plugs and all that are garbage. They'll keep your bike for a day or two and charge a ridiculous amount. Oil changes cost me only about $30 and I do it myself. You should buy a service manual and learn to do things yourself so you can save your money for more important things.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Then you're going to a dishonest mechanic. There's a lot of things that could have been done incorrectly or went unnoticed during the initial setup... or worked loose during break-in.

Imho, it is absolutely a good idea to get the 600m service from a reputable shop. I don't see why someone would spend 7000 bucks on a bike and skimp on checks and maintenance, unless one is a very competent DIY'er. (unlike myself!;))

Originally posted by Blue636
Oh man, I feel bad! They only change your oil and filter on the first service. The rest about checking fluids, torque values, cables/wires/plugs and all that are garbage.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Blue636
Oh man, I feel bad! They only change your oil and filter on the first service. The rest about checking fluids, torque values, cables/wires/plugs and all that are garbage. They'll keep your bike for a day or two and charge a ridiculous amount. Oil changes cost me only about $30 and I do it myself. You should buy a service manual and learn to do things yourself so you can save your money for more important things.
I'm saddened by the poor experiences you've had. I trust my dealership fully with my bike. They did my first service within a few hours for me.

I took my bike to the dealer until the warranty was up. Now I do my own oil changes and the like. I'll be trying to do my own valve clearance check and carb sync'ing this winter on my own. If I can't do it, I'll take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The dealer I bought my bike from was a piece of sh*t, and I would never ever go back there again. The weird part is, that the honest and reputable dealer I found was a Honda dealer, and they didn't mind too much about working on a Kawasaki. Of course I had to hear the old routine how "Honda's are much better made bikes..."

But I got to know the mechanic who worked on my bike, and I was able to watch him do all the work, even help him occasionally. I still wouldn't buy a bike from that place though, because the sales guy is not too much different then all the rest.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i didnt think checking you valves was that hard...reading my service manual makes it sound kinda simple...changing the shims seems alittle difficult though...

how many people had valves out of spec for their 7500 mile checkup?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Why would anyone take their bike to a dealer for a first service? You can do it very easily at your own home. All you have to do is change oil and filter, check all hoses for leaks, check all your fluids, go over torques on a few bolts, maybe adjust your clutch a little and your done. Why get hosed? Oh yeah, don't forget the hard job of checking your brake light switches; press brake, light comes on, what do you know it works.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hate to say my bike has never been to the dealer. it takes all of 1 hr to change the oil and hell its kind of fun to get the farings off and clean them they get all kinds of dirty down below. i refuse to pay $80 an hour so some guy can [email protected] with my bike.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree. I know some people who have never taken their bikes to the dealer and have over 80k on their bikes. Just valve adjustments, oil&filter changes, brake fluid change and coolant flush, spark plugs changed and that's it! Of course all the simple stuff is in there, too. Very easy DIY stuff.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My dealer told me I needed to have my valves adjusted (as well as the usual stuff)at 600 miles for around $450 [:0] I even asked the guy on a separate visit what they would be doing - same reply, higher price..... Needless to say, I'll never trust the dealer I got my bike from for maintenance

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm kinda curious why you guys would even buy your bikes from dealers you don't trust. I do eveything myself because I am a mechanic. Nobody touches my bikes but me. Not because I don't trust my dealer, just because I have bbetter things to spend my money on. How many of you actually remove your fairing to change your oil? It takes me 10 minutes.:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't remove them. I just use a couple of small pieces of cardboard to redirect the oil flow away from the fairing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After you drain your oil, put your bike on it's side stand before you remove the filter. Once you remove the filter, the oil will drain straight though the opening in the fairing. Never touches the plastic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.