Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I just had to push it and ran out of gas. Once the odo hit 220 miles I knew I should stop and gas up but was only about 10-15 miles from my regular station where I get a slight discount due to some grocery store deal. Approx 5 miles from the station the 250R starts to surge and I know whats coming, or whats stopping. At least it died on a slight downhill so I was able to drift into the first shop I saw which was some hole in the wall car repair place. I explained my plight and they only had a nearly empty gas can but said I could have whatever was in it. I figured a cup or two of gas came out.

Thanks to the little Ninja's economy it was enough to get me a few miles down the road to a gas station. I miss the old days of gas tank petcocks that had a reserve position. Also, the Ninja's tank seems to have a little bit of gas that just won't feed to the carbs. Guess the feeder tube stick up a bit above absolute bottom. Damn I felt like a jerk, albeit a lucky one!

Tim

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, today I just had to push it and ran out of gas. Once the odo hit 220 miles I knew I should stop and gas up but was only about 10-15 miles from my regular station where I get a slight discount due to some grocery store deal. Approx 5 miles from the station the 250R starts to surge and I know whats coming, or whats stopping. At least it died on a slight downhill so I was able to drift into the first shop I saw which was some hole in the wall car repair place. I explained my plight and they only had a nearly empty gas can but said I could have whatever was in it. I figured a cup or two of gas came out.

Thanks to the little Ninja's economy it was enough to get me a few miles down the road to a gas station. I miss the old days of gas tank petcocks that had a reserve position. Also, the Ninja's tank seems to have a little bit of gas that just won't feed to the carbs. Guess the feeder tube stick up a bit above absolute bottom. Damn I felt like a jerk, albeit a lucky one!

Tim

is that have a reserve. its on your left hand side when sitting on the bike by the idle adjustment.

·
Powerhungry
38,474 Posts
is that have a reserve. its on your left hand side when sitting on the bike by the idle adjustment.
he must be talking about the 08. i don think its got the reserve....since it has a gauge..albeit a worthless one..but a gauge nonetheless.

and 220? thats It?! on a 250? how small is the tank? my first long trip i squeezed like 213 miles on my 636. it never did run out. but it was VERY close.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's 4.8 isn't it? 220 is not so good, unless you're just whipping around the city or backroads.

·
Registered
130 Posts
tim, sounds fun. at least you got lucky.

220 is my fill-up point as well. Even at that mileage, I usually only put 3.8 or 3.9 gallons in. Which means that there is a gallon of GAS left when my bike is on E, or there was some gas left before the fill-up and some extra AIR after a fill-up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
when you know you are running out, keep the gas sloshing around by moving the bike side to side. or buy gas before you need to. that is lousy mpg though. i just filled up and i mean all i could get in and this was after 180 miles, 2.9 gallons. j

·
Registered
389 Posts
he must be talking about the 08. i don think its got the reserve....since it has a gauge..albeit a worthless one..but a gauge nonetheless.
I find my gas gauge is extremely accurate. I average 115-125Km per 1/4 tank.

The farthest I've gone on a take was 405km with a 15.1L fill up. The gauge was reading 1/8 remaining. So I'd say it works pretty good.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
just try not to do that often, easy way to get your fuel pump/filter clogged up. (yours is too new to really have that problem but if there's anything foreign in your tank, you know it'll be at the bottom)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a few more notes. It's an '08 and has no reserve switch, thus my comment. 220 miles was not when it ran out, just when I figure it's time to think about refueling. I average 57-60mpg with lots of high speed riding on the interstate. If I keep it below 50mph I can get up to 62mpg but have never gone above that. I thought about sloshing what little gas was left in the tank around, and was going to do that if the shop I coasted into could not assist me, but doubted it would help much.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts