Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was caught speeding this summer (with a hefty ticket!!)and won't get my license back before mars 2007. I don't know how it is to drive bike for you guys in the US but here in Europe politics are investing a LOT in new radar device and are regularly upgrading fines (heavier than if you are a theft or punch a policeman!).
I am tired of this cat and mouse game and choose to stop biking, I have just sold my zx6 :( to buy a brand new paraglider (a sporty one).
There is much more freedom at 1500ft and I think i made the right decision.

Hope you will keep your license longer!

·
Registered
759 Posts
As I recall, the Scandanavian countries are EXTREMELY harsh (compared to the USA) when it comes to speeding and DUI. Best of luck to you with the decision. There are lots of cool hobbies that will get your heart racing and not land you in jail or without a license. Perhaps a bike that doesn't encourage high speeds, like a cruiser, might be in your future some day.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It's a pity about the riding, but have fun with the paraglider.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I actually think that the US should be stricter about the fines they give out for speeding and anything regarding a persons driving. The police should also be push a little harder to giving out tickets rather than just letting it go and turning a blind eye. As a son of a police officer I have gone on many ride alongs with him and watched his radar as cars go by. I was rather disappointed as I saw how many people he let go by that were well over the speed limit. I think if the police start to crack down on what is taking place now like most of the other countries our drivers wont be as bad as they are and maybe we could get rid of some jackasses that don’t know how to drive.

Yes everything that I have said will bring out people complaining about they are strict enough and they have already paid out so much in tickets and lost their driving privileges. But maybe this should be teaching you something in your own driving. If you like to go fast and hate getting the tickets for doing it take it to the track. For all those that keep getting tickets and whine about paying for the fines and then the insurance look at the final cost of everything you have paid for.
1. The actual ticket you purchased.
2. Time spent away from your job to fight it.
3. Parking for the court appearance.
4. Your insurance will now go up.
5. Points on your license.

Take that total and look at how much you have spent trying to fight it and everything that is added up just for that one ticket. Now look at how much a track day will cost you, I bet that it will be cheaper just to purchase your track day and go as fast as you want there than the actual cost of the ticket. I think if we had more people actually doing this than whining about the tickets they get and the cops actually doing their job our streets would be a lot safer.

Sorry for the rant about this topic I am just getting fed up with all the people complaining about the riding they do and the costs that come with it. If you would just slow down and obey the limits maybe you all wouldn’t be in this situation. Oh and for all those saying, "Well I bet you don’t do the speed limit all the time and are crazy." You are correct; sometimes I do speed and push the limits. But there is always a time and place to do and that doesn’t mean in the middle of rush hour where you are taking other peoples lives in your hands.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Originally posted by RCapNY
if your dad read this he'd probably wish ur had been swallowed instead.
Or he would agree with me about most stuff because we have actually talked about alot of this.

But seriously thank you for the great reply.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by RCapNY
if your dad read this he'd probably wish ur had been swallowed instead.
Wow. Just wow.

As for the OP, good luck with the new hobby. Maybe some time off from a bike will help you cool down on the streets. You can always look for a cheap bike and track it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't a reckless driver(10 years,2 speeding tickets, no accident..even in Paris) and used to have fun on racetracks, I stop driving bike because here it is zero tolerance with speeding (litteraly)and everything is just fucking more expensive(gas, insurance...). I am just disgusted to lose my license for driving only at 131 kmh on an highway(nice weather,little traffic...) but I am not complaining cause I knew it could happen.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Were you the one who was supposed to serve jail time as well for speeding? What ever happened with that?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by tbenavent
I was caught speeding this summer (with a hefty ticket!!)and won't get my license back before mars 2007. I don't know how it is to drive bike for you guys in the US but here in Europe politics are investing a LOT in new radar device and are regularly upgrading fines (heavier than if you are a theft or punch a policeman!).
I am tired of this cat and mouse game and choose to stop biking, I have just sold my zx6 :( to buy a brand new paraglider (a sporty one).

not every road is 'unsafe' to play around ;) I hope you'll not going to miss it too much.

post some pics sometime from gliding [|)]

·
Registered
757 Posts
Originally posted by tbenavent

1. Buy a bike. Remove everything that makes it street legal - lights, tag holder, etc. This way you won't be tempted to ride it on public roads. Now you have a track bike.

2. Buy a bike trailer. To take your track bike to the bike track by attaching the trailer to the car which you will drive at safe and legal speeds.

3. Be happy and don't give up riding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
Were you the one who was supposed to serve jail time as well for speeding? What ever happened with that?
I met the judge a few weeks ago and he told me that since I am (we) are waiting for a baby,I will only have 30 h of community service[?][?][?].
That is luck cause three others guys meeting the same judge that day have to serve jail time.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Good luck in the future. Shame you have given up bikes. I really don't know how I'd do it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by 02 z_x_6_r

Or he would agree with me about most stuff because we have actually talked about alot of this.

But seriously thank you for the great reply.
if he would agree with you, then how come he doesn't stop those speeders?

one thing to consider is that the most dangerous drivers aren't the ones speeding. personally i have had a close encounter ratio or 10:1 being old people/women drivers/cell phone users who are at or under the speed limit vs. the speeder. you know those fuckers who don't look before changing lanes.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
if he would agree with you, then how come he doesn't stop those speeders?

one thing to consider is that the most dangerous drivers aren't the ones speeding. personally i have had a close encounter ratio or 10:1 being old people/women drivers/cell phone users who are at or under the speed limit vs. the speeder. you know those fuckers who don't look before changing lanes.

[:M88]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.