Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for my symptoms but could find a close enough match for my problem.

I have an '03 636. Went to Biketoberfest in October and going through traffic the bike stalled. Wouldn't start back up. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and it started back up. Going street speed of 40-45 and the bike stalled again. Let it sit, fired it up, and took off again.

Coming home that night, my digital temp gauge on the dash read 173'F, the hi-temp light came on and the bike sounded like it was starving for fuel and died. Same old story. Let it sit, started up and finally made it home. Took me 3.5 hours for a trip that should have taken 1 hr. Mind you, my fan never kicked on, the fuse was fine and I had fluid. I am not sure if the temp light was coming on earlier in the day because it was daylight and the light only stayed on for a second.

Took it to the dealer for service, the tech took it for a test drive and was able to duplicate it. They said they got it to get up to 215'-225' range, the fan came on, temp light came on, bike stalled and they had to wait to restart.

They have had my bike at the dealership for over 2 weeks. I called them on 11/6 and they told me they are not sure what is wrong with it and they are waiting on computer software for the ECU to re-map it.

Personally, I think they are feeding me a line of crap. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
fans suck really. hardly do anything..the engine might have shut itself down when the temp got too high. that's just a guess

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. It has been over a month since I took the bike to the dealership. Called yesterday and was told they received the software from Kawasaki and were going to work on it today. :( Almost five weeks of being stuck in a cage whenever I need to go somewhere does not make me happy.

Anybody have any ideas of what type of restitution I should ask for from the dealership? I have made 2 pymts and 2 insurance pymts since it has been down and the dealer hasn't called me once. Whenever I want an update, I have to call them.

Hopefully I will get it back the Friday after Thanksgiving.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I'd contact Kawasaki directly and explain whats been going on.
Kawasaki will usually either light a fire under the dealers ass, to get them working on it, or in some cases give you a new bike.,

Nothing scares a dealer more then getting a call from Kawasaki corperate asking why one of their customers is Pissed off..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

I did call Kawasaki USA on Tuesday, 11/18, and the lady I talked to said the last record they had of my dealer calling regarding my repair was 11/4.

She said she would call the dealership the next day and she would call me or the dealership would call me for an update.

Guess what? My phone hasn’t rung.

I am not usually one to bitch or ask for compensation, but 5 weeks for a repair to me seems a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sounds like either a bad ground, or a faulty igniter box.
BC.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Maybe they disconnected your speedo/odometer cable and are using your bike to film stunt videos! :D J/K

Anyway, it's time to start kicking ass. I'd get your bike outta there pronto and try to have another dealer fix it. I'm assuming you've got a good warranty.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea 5 weeks is way too long!! like the marines in halo say: kick some ass!![}:)]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I don;t hear from them today, I am going to pick it up since I get off work early today because it's the day before a holiday.

I used to buy all my accessories there, service, you name it.

When I leave from picking the bike up, they will never see me again.

Like they care, but still. After the 1 yr warranty was up I was going to get the full Muzzys exhaust but they won't be getting the money for it.

Phuck 'em

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a putz and got stuck working late on Wednesday. Oh well. It's overtime, right.

Here's the latest on my saga.

Got a call from the Service Manager on Saturday, 11/29/03, and he said the bike was ready.

The cause, he said, was when the bike was cold they could not get any codes from the ECU with errors. When they took it for a test ride and got it hot and plugged in back up the ECU was throwing all kinds of codes and shutting down the ECU, in turn shutting the bike down.

Just wanted to keep everyone up to date in case anyone else has the same or similar problem, you might have some ammunition to get it fixed quicker than I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.