Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Figured one thread would be easier...

I'm new to whole sport bike world.. grew up around Harley's so I'm a little confused...

I have an 01 500R. If I'm sitting still on it the temp gauge goes up to almost the red hot zone. Obviously I don't let it get there. But it only takes a matter of mins for that to happen. The fan wasn't working but now it has been the last 2 times I ran her. The coolant is full. I don't know where else to look on the bike to figure out what could be causing this issue.

Another thing... is there any way to convert it to 2 separate seats instead of the single 1 piece seat?

Thanks for all the help a head of time!! :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
My ZZR600 also runs hot when stopped. Do not worry about it until it gets to the red, then shut the engine off on the side of the road for a few minutes to cool. If it is like mine, you have to idle stopped for at least 15 minutes when it is 100 degrees outside to get to the red zone.

I have no idea for the seat question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was literally just backing into a parking spot at work and it got just shy of the red zone in the 45 seconds it took me to do that. That's what scares me. It's gets basically to the red in the time it takes for a stop light to turn green. That's not ok in a car, so I don't see how it's ok on a bike. And it's no where near 100 degrees where I live. I think today it got to 80 if it was lucky. So I'm really kinda nervous.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
How fresh is the coolant? Easiest thing to do is dump the coolant, and put fresh stuff in, making sure to burp it and massage the lines.

Bikes don't have a heck of a lot of coolant in them, usually just a liter or two (couple quarts) so they heat up fast if you're not moving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts