Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 1999 zx6r, I find that it gets really hot and overheats in traffic or if I run it at high RPMS and I can't figure out why the fan doesn't come on until the red light blinks warning that it is overheating. Is there a way to set it so the fan comes on earlier? I thought about putting a switch on it to turn it on and off manually but I'd rather not. I would rather fix it so it turns on when it gets on the warmer side. I don't care if it turns on after the third bar (there are 5 bars) just so long as it turns on.

It has also overflowed when the temp guage doesn't read overheating... it's wierd. Anyone ever experienced this? I see people ride thier bikes all over town cruizing main and they never have to pull of to the side and cool off like I do. It's annoying.

Thanks! Andrew

·
Registered
532 Posts
sounds like one of two things to me....1 air in your coolant system, so much so that there is no coolant to activate the switch, so refil your coolant and I an NOT talking about the reserve tank, the actual radatior. and 2 your coolant fan switch is bad, my service manual tell you how to test it with water and an ohms meter.

try refilling or flushing your coolant to make sure you have no air in your system.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
at first my 98 did the same thing, i just changed the coolant and it comes on when the 4th bar comes up, Even on super hot days and slow moving traffic and high rpms i never get passed 3 bars now, i forget what ratio i did with water to coolant but it seems to have worked lol
Ben

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, I will try doing that! When I got the bike it had most of it's emissions stripped off of it so it has been tampered with. I don't think it has an overflow? Is there an easier way to fill the radiator than taking off the side fairing? I had to fill it once 2 months ago, it was overheating BAD so I checked the coolant level and it was really low. It took about a gallon to fill it back up. I probably should flush it and refill it with the right ratio of coolant/water. Is there anything else I can check?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Try putting water wetter or engine ice in also keep it much cooler actually on average between 10-20*F cooler.
Ben

·
Registered
532 Posts
Originally posted by lowthrizzle
the overflow is on the left side, next to your calf. That's where i fill my radiator from.
no no no no NO! like i said earlier you gotta fill it at the rad. B/C if your levels are too low in the system it WILL NOT suck the from the reservior! plus if you've got air pockets thats the only way to get them out!!! its only 4 screws, 3 bolts and thats it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.