Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overheating issues
So my 94 ZX9 has been overheating.
I've replaced the radiator, cap & thermostat. When moving along it runs fine, as soon as I'm off the frwy or in traffic, the temp starts rising. I've been told that these bikes are famous for the headgasket failing and that's what's causing the overheating. Any ideas?

Thank you;

Mike

· Registered
28,267 Posts
im not sure i've heard of head gasket issues.. sure the fan is working and the blades are in good shape? rad core and fins clean? i hose mine out a couple times a year to get sand and other shit out of it.

sure the water pump is working and the system is not airlocked?
may be a bubble in there

· Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem!!! It's making me mad! I changed the thermostat, Radiator cap, and installed a new water pump. I did a drip down pressure test on the coolant system. Pressure was constant at what my manual said was reccomend at 18psi. My bike still over heats! I than took off my gas tank and air box, and one of my carbs had white gunk on it. That is where i'm at right now. If any body else can chime in on this it would great. Thank you

· Registered
10 Posts
yes it is very common.

I have a theory.

can you answer a question for me.

What enviroment do you live in. ie do you get snow and sub zero (C) temps in winter??

it seems to happen alot to the guys on the english site bu i have not heard about it to much from guys in aussie.

Im thinking it may have something to do with the fluctuation of temperatures.

just a theory

· Registered
23 Posts
What temp is over heating? I live in Tennessee. So the weather is up and down here alot. My 2000 zx9r averages around 205- 220 f in the summer and in the winter it is around 170- 187f. Oh and it also has a 998 cc big bore kit. Are these temps ok?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App

· Registered
27 Posts
Just acquired a 03 zx9r and I am having issues with the fan turning on. Isnt it supposed to kick on above like 195? My temp gauge works on and off (much more consistantly when its cooler than 90degrees outside) and when it does read it fluctuates rapidly so the fan doesnt always kick on when it should causing heatin issues (especially when city riding... lots of lights or stop signs). Was told I could get manual switch to keep the fan on always or just get an entire nother fan assembly and wire it to the ignition so it runs whenever the bike is on and the second one will kick in at 200degrees or whatever... anyone ou there having the same issue? Is this the most efficient solution?

And what is the average temp im supposed to be running at? I have been told everything... anywhere from 210 upwards to 240 can be damaging... some please straighten me out... haha

· Premium Member
15,187 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Overheating issues
So my 94 ZX9 has been overheating.
I've replaced the radiator, cap & thermostat. When moving along it runs fine, as soon as I'm off the frwy or in traffic, the temp starts rising. I've been told that these bikes are famous for the headgasket failing and that's what's causing the overheating. Any ideas?

Thank you;

Mike
Is the motor dumping coolant from overheating or do you wish it would run cooler for some reason? Does the temp run in the red area?

slomo

· Registered
4 Posts
I've seen this on a few occasions in the recent past. Everything in the cooling system checks out but still overheating at stops and in stop and go traffic. Each case turned out to be a head gasket failure. Sorry.:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.