Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was running my bike kind of hard- nothing special. i get home, let it idle for 10 secs, shut it off and anitfreeze starts spilling out of the overflow tank. wtf? i talked to my friend and he says the thermostat might be stuck? i'm new to crotchrockets and i have no idea what is going on. i let it sit for half an hour and rode it around town again and it didn't overheat or anything. i have no idea. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
had u recently added to the coolant? if its above the warm level while cold, when it gets hot it will "level" itself off. burping out the extra.
or its possible ur thermostat is sticking. ud have to watch the temp gauge carefully to find out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by nevada
had u recently added to the coolant? if its above the warm level while cold, when it gets hot it will "level" itself off. burping out the extra.
or its possible ur thermostat is sticking. ud have to watch the temp gauge carefully to find out.
no- coolant level was in between the lines when it was cold. i'll just have to keep watching my temp guage. thanks..

·
Registered
138 Posts
my bike was overheating due to some moderate/hard riding, but nothing was spilling out of the resivor. it was blinking HIGH HIGH HIGH. not sure what the problem is. Im taking it to the dealer today. The bike isnt even a month old.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Originally posted by stryder420
my bike was overheating due to some moderate/hard riding, but nothing was spilling out of the resivor. it was blinking HIGH HIGH HIGH. not sure what the problem is. Im taking it to the dealer today. The bike isnt even a month old.
Wow. it was so hot it was actually blinking 'HIGH'?

Highest my bike has ever gotten in LA traffic is 220. Well within normal parameters for an internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems to me that the new bikes with an under tail exhaust have some type of heat issue. I just picked up a 05 zx6r a few weeks ago and noticed how hot the frame and foot pegs get from the heat bleeding off the pipe. A pipe that is mounted on the side of the bike is exposed to constant air flow that dissipates the heat. The under tail pipe doesn’t get half the air flow of a standard mounted pipe. So really the coolant system has to cool the engine and deal with all the extra heat from the pipe. I live in TX and At this point I can’t see riding this bike when it’s over 90. I’m guessing wrapping the pipe with heder wrap will cut down on the excess heat. Anyone done that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.