Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was riding all over Brooklyn and Queens then meet with a friend in the city, and we rode up to Bear mountian.
Traffic was pretty heavy on the way back, so we did alot of lane spliiting
(stupid SUV kept honking me for riding past him on the split lane, just cause his mamoth gas guzzler was stuck in traffic, sheesh...)
Anyways once back in the city my temps were really high
specially back in manhattan.

I troied to let it idle, hopping it would cool down, but
the little red light next to the temp came on, and the temp guage displayed "hi"

I wound up shutting it down, but is that the right thing to do?
I mean won't shuttign it down leave hot spots in the system/engine?
cause the coolent is no longer being circulated.....

I'll try and flush the system, but it's not like it was very hot yesterday, and my bike is only a 2002, so what could be wrong? [?]

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i always shutdown when in traffic when i feel it getting hot. only problem i would see is MAYBE putting a strain on the starter. no harm will be done since the oil in the engine will keep things from seizing and the fan should stay running after its off. the fan is activated by the engine temp and wont shut off until it feels it got back to normal.

·
Registered
934 Posts
See your owner's manual... it will caution you to shut it down when the temp guage reads "hi". If it's "hi" it's already too hot, so not shutting it down due to worries of hot spots is a no brainer... let it cool! Check your reserve tank. But regardless of the ambient air temps and rpm's, if you're not moving much and getting air through that rad it is going to get very hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i ride to vegas alot on my bike and when i get up there its like 110 outside temp and the lights are long so i put a fan bypass switch on so i can turn my fan on at the light so it will give me lots of time so the red light does come on...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by Dimonne

i ride to vegas alot on my bike and when i get up there its like 110 outside temp and the lights are long so i put a fan bypass switch on so i can turn my fan on at the light so it will give me lots of time so the red light does come on...
What a great idea, I did the same thing for my old Camaro, but never thought of that for the bike.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Minytrker:
what you do, bypass the factory relay to leave it on,
or add a switch to manually power the fan?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
999 Posts
I took and tapped into the wires going to the temp switch in the left side of the radiator and ran those wires to a switch that way the temp switch will still cut the fan on if I forget or I can cut it on whenever.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so on an unmodded system the stock switch cuts power or allows power through the line, when it gets hot...?

thanks

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You should try running pure water in there. That is DISTILLED water that you can get at the local drug store. Your bike will definately run cooler than when it's mixed with anti-freeze. Just don't forget to add water wetter so it doesn't turn to ice over the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.