Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search of the actual proof of how well a K&N will flow air.
I am finally about ready to try my mods.....and need the best high volume air flow......is it actually better than stock? I have swapped back and fourth from the K&N to stock and back again and again......as stated by others there could be a touch better at top end but only a feel thing....maybe cause it is a clean filter rather than flow better at that point......???...

Anyone havew some actual numbers or facts for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I am not a K&N fan. I use a stock aircleaner element. I have seen several dyno sheet that show slight power loss to slight power gain from K&N. Nothing that is remotely close to the claims they make.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured as much.......was hoping there might be some proof in the pudding, so to speak.....I have a couple of stock filters and a K&N at my disposal so no real losses ......as I start my testing, hopefully, I will get the motovation to try filters back to back in the same day......this mod will definately make or break any claims as to if there is truely any difference.

I shall keep the believers posted...as to those who think I am wasting my time.....all shall be lost for you.

Later

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, SWJ
At least some people can think outside the box.
At the last Kawi tech course(Jan.) I was talking to the main Canadain Kawi tech guy, who thought it was a novel idea. He had no real issues with the actual carburation, but was more concerned with the actual air flow. So, to be sure I acquired the next size up to have wayyy more air flow than was calculated...238cfm is now the supplying force.
Worst case scenario will be some tweaking to the lower end of the jetting.....air/fuel setting(stock is 3, so really should be good there), slow jet is 12.5????can't seem to find the next size up for this application,maybe some float height to richen things up....beyond that.....just have to wait for the weather to finish melting the last of the snow.

Soon, very soon......

Jason

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
badassjake,

I saw the chart of the ZX-6R that took to the dyno before mine, and it lost a bit of power with a K&N air filter.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rob.......

All input is good. Seems strange why they would make a filter for a bike that does it no good......I do recall reading somewhere that K&N did not make a filter for a certain year for the ZX7 cause they could not do better than stock.

I'm thinkin an email to K&N is in order......see if they can shed some light on the subject......maybe the setup they had that did produce more power/flow, as to how it differs with those of us and our mods.

Jason

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well the thing is, it actually CAN do some good in the right situation. If you increase the airflow OUT you can then step up the airflow IN and make the fuel mapping or jetting changes to take advantage of it. Trouble is, we're talking about very MINOR gains at best, and as both SW and Rob Lee have pointed out, in MANY cases, the bike is set up ideally with the stock air filter, and changing it only affects the mixture negatively without some real work...

Here's a link you might be interested in reading...

http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Using a K&N air filter will actually make a difference in horsepower, but it will be so small that you will never get a seat-of-the-pants difference. If you could look at the numbers, you would see a difference. Personally, I think that if a K&N flow so much better, which is claimed to be true, then more than just air gets into your engine. The only thing that is actually doing the filtering on K&N's is the oil that you are required to put on them. I would personally rather have my engine run good for a longer time and know that it is getting only clean air than gain a couple horsepower that I wouldn't notice anyways.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone good with surface area???

The stock surface area can be calculated, with some time and patients.
The K&N surface area is simple....nice big rectangle(doubled for the pleats).
The K&N is more efficient cause, it is thinner and made of a less complex material(cloth).Stock, thick,yellow fur, and tiny bubbles in foam like material......

The application in question is far from normal......I truely need max flow.....cleaning is not an issue.(perfectionist me and all)

I'm thinkin I am going to start with the K&N for the base setting. The weather just dumped snow back on the ground once again......grrr

Oh well, should only take one good day of testing to see where I stand.I'm thinking a 2 week window and it shall happen.

Also, my bike is set a little rich throughout the range....probably this is why when I switch to the K&N it is working better cause the air/fuel is better balanced.....making more sence.
Shall keep you all posted.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.