·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

The good: I happened across a Ninja 650 with only 200 miles for $1000
The bad: It's a 2006
The ugly: It's been sitting for nearly all of it's 13 year life

The goal: I'm going to be restoring this baby from top to bottom, and I'm hoping that for under $2,000 all in, doing the work myself, I can basically have a brand new machine.

The task list (so far):
- Install new battery
- Drain and refill fuel tank
- Test electrical
- - - If yes, test if bike will start
- - - If no, troubleshoot:
- - - - - - Air filter
- - - Spark plugs
- - - Fuel/Hoses
- Change oil and filter
- Flush coolant
- Flush brake lines
- Replace tires

The ask: Is there anything else I should do? I'm assuming brake pads and rotors are still fine, but the tires, despite being "like new" (having no flat spots, no signs of rot or sidewall cracking, etc.) should still be replaced, due to age.

Cheers guys,

Adrian

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Depending on how you look at it, the fact that it is a '06 is not that bad!

The Mk.I is by far the lightest, less restricted and purest to ride model so if you if you like spirited riding you are in luck :grin2:

Just don't forget to check the upper frame connections for cracks as there were a few cases of escalated hairline fractures in the past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like an awesome find to me!
Even if it is an '06.

But I think 2006 was a good year. :smile2:
:welcome:
I'm detecting a bit of a bias ;) but thank you lol

Depending on how you look at it, the fact that it is a '06 is not that bad!

The Mk.I is by far the lightest, less restricted and purest to ride model so if you if you like spirited riding you are in luck :grin2:

Just don't forget to check the upper frame connections for cracks as there were a few cases of escalated hairline fractures in the past.
Mk.I from what I understand (did a search) refers to the model platform gen (I think?), but I can't figure out what years it actually applies to. Could someone let me know please :)

None yet but my first video on it is here:
(not much exciting in this one, because I ran into a hiccup when I brought it home, but episode 2 should actually have this bike starting up... I mean, fingers crossed)...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am doing the same thing for the second time, first one was a 93 ninja 500 with 4500 on the dash that sat for a few years and now a 98 ZX600E that sat for a couple years. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am doing the same thing for the second time, first one was a 93 ninja 500 with 4500 on the dash that sat for a few years and now a 98 ZX600E that sat for a couple years. Best of luck.
Thanks Kevin. Just got the bike started and running for the first time in 5 years yesterday. Sounds like you know how good that felt lol.

Had to fight with a scorpio security alarm system that the previous owner "forgot" was installed (he never gave me a keyfob for it and then said he couldn't find it, sigh...) and then another issue after that, but we made it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact bike and love it. You got a great deal I'm currently in a streetfighter conversion project with mine. Good luck and can't wait to see the progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the exact bike and love it. You got a great deal I'm currently in a streetfighter conversion project with mine. Good luck and can't wait to see the progress.
Thanks! Any links to where I can see your conversion? I thought about doing the same thing with this bike, but the fairings are still in great shape so I didn't wanna pull the trigger just yet.

ANyway, here's episode 3 where I siphon out the old gas and get fresh gas in there:

Nothing too exciting, but it beats draining the gas tank. This was a very tidy way of doing it that did the trick in a few minutes and only cost me $9.00. Trying to keep this project going properly, but without killing a ton of money or time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts