Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a '00 zx6r, wrecked my '01 and miss it. I got a good deal but it needs painted and a headlight. how much does painting a bike cost? I don't want anything to great, probably close to stock amount of graphics or less. Can you buy Kawi green? Is it expensive? Know anyone to get a deal/good work done in Kansas City, Missouri area?

·
Registered
419 Posts
i have an '00 and talked to the guy at the body shop i use today and he said to repaint the whole thing (i'm going from red to black), it would be $800.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Any shop can get a green very close to Kawi green. Kawi doesn't release their official paint codes though.
You can buy exact match paint from color-rite, but it's expensive.
Just bring in piece of green bodywork and they can match it very close.

Decals you can order either from Kawi or from companies like tricktape

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by wet11383
I'm buying a '00 zx6r, wrecked my '01 and miss it. I got a good deal but it needs painted and a headlight. how much does painting a bike cost? I don't want anything to great, probably close to stock amount of graphics or less. Can you buy Kawi green? Is it expensive? Know anyone to get a deal/good work done in Kansas City, Missouri area?
I spray painted my bike myself, and it's OK. I'm not looking to win any awards. I use race fairings @ the track, and stock fairings on the street. All I care about is it takes me from point A to B, and I enjoy it. Everybody has a different reason for owning a bike, so this was my $0.02

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to try my hand at it myself. any tips? so I can get the graphics and just paint the bike a solid color and apply them? how expensive are we talking to color match? do I clear coat it over the graphics?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've always wondered, where exactly does one purchase body paint? The good stuff I mean, not the stuff that blisters when you drip gas on your tank...

Anyone know what quantity you'd need to paint a bike if it was going to be all the same color?

I have access to the equipment I need, just don't know where to get the paint...[V]

·
Registered
471 Posts
PPG, house of kolor...etc I know they supply alot of automotive paint. I hear the people at PPG know their stuff quite well and can probally answer all your "how much" questions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Originally posted by wet11383
I'd like to try my hand at it myself. any tips? so I can get the graphics and just paint the bike a solid color and apply them? how expensive are we talking to color match? do I clear coat it over the graphics?
i work at a graphic shop. i know it seems like you can probably just get some graphics and put them on but it's actually semi difficult and there's more to it than you'd figure. if i were you i might take it by a graphic/sign shop around there and see if they'll put them on for cheap. you can probably get them to for 20 or 30 bucks and you'll know for sure that it's done right. and you can put your clear coat on either before or after the graphics, depending on if you're sure you want them on there permanently.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i painted my zx6r, and it takes less then a qt of clear and a qt of color. Its pretty simple, it was a trial for me aswell and i had to wet sand alot but overall it was good. Napa has auto paint, clear, and hardener. Or you can get real good stuff like house of color. I am overall happy with how it came out and i want to try my hand at it again when i get some money for some more bodywork. Also i didnt use it but i do reccomend a flex agent for plastic and fiberglass so it dosnt spyder crack, i have been lucky with mine but i have seen some crack real bad...
Ben
Ben

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did/can you just use rattle cans or should I get a paint sprayer for my compressor? I'd rather not invest to much and I don't need a show stopper, but I'd like it to look decent. Do places like House of Color sell rattle cans of paint? I know I am a cheap bastard but it's my first bike in a while so I might lay her over sometime and don't wanna ruin that much moneys worth of paint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dont forget to add a flex additive when you are painting the plastics.

Ooops, just saw that ttr50 already said that.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i was speaking to my frined who builds choppers and he said Sherman Williams is really good as far as paint is concerned. Color rite is expensive, there is also colorsurge.com which sels OEM paint, and the site is quite informative, gives you quantities that you need for painting specific areas etc. i understand that if you did buy paint from colorrite or colorsurge,you will not have to add any additives such as flex agent as it is already added to it. hope that helps!
just for the record ttrrider, has done an awesome job on his paint job for his bike[:M6]. maybe you can coax him to paint them for you;)!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i painted part of my bike with rattle cans and just used automotive clear coat over it my sprayer and i think it came out awsome....
Ben

·
Registered
876 Posts
you guys kill me [:M7]

no one ever checks the site sponsor list....
[V]

$800-1200 is about what you can expect for a single color from any auto body shop. I can do it cheaper. I usually charge 5-600 for single color jobs, depending on the # of pieces. I've also won trophies for my paint

I use house of kolor, or ppg, and occasionally napa's line, which is better/stronger than HOK IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cost will depend on alot of things. Which paint? PPG, House of Color, etc, etc, all have different grade/type of paints. Acrylic eurothane, acrylic enamel, etc all have different properties and prices.Most manufacturers also have "budget brands" that cost less. Some are more durable and some are easier to spray. Also prep time will cost money. Good prep is vital to a good paint job. Many times you get what you pay for with paint work. It all depends on what you want out of it. Custom work draws custom $$$ while good quality paint work still cost good money. Cheap paint work is usually just that..cheap. By the way, if you have no experience spraying it's probably best to leave it to the pro's. If you have some experience then it might be worth your while. Just remember if you screw up you have to spring for more paint, do more prep and that all cost money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Scream-n-10r , just went to your site. You do nice work.

Wet11383, guys like this are worth spending your money with. They do top notch work with less overhead than the big shops and can charge reasonable prices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.