Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a dry day do crosswalks,and white or yellow lines have less tracton than the pavement?

im kinda shy around them, pry overly, I just wanna know if thats a good thing.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the traction difference between painted lines and pavement is very marginal when they are dry. however, when the road is wet, the stripes are very slippery. being over- cautious is a good thing when you are starting out riding. welcome to the forum, dont be afraid to ask anymore questions.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
A lot of the bigger roads around here have those little reflectors in between the "dotted lines" ...so you really have to be careful where your lean is because you obviously have less contact patch in full lean than you would crossing over a reflector or line in a fully upright position.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Like mentioned in the dry painted lines offer reasonable traction but even a dry day doesn't mean the painted line is dry as car drips from leaks, ac condinsation ect... will sit up on the line and his harder to see than a wet spot on the road. Friend of mine crashed last week when he touched the line at heavy lean because they had painted it and it was still wet and was no real was to tell driving through the corner. Good to be cautious of lines...

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Slippery little buggers. Those reflectors are also a major pucker-factor in the making. Steel grates & manhole covers are high up in the "put-a-lump-of-coal-up-my-a** & get-a-diamond-back" category.

Worse than those are the "transient" slipperies - plastic supermarket bags, flattened drink cans, and even leaves or a bit of (hard to see) sand.

Gotta be aware all the time. IT's one of the main reasons knee-dragging is best left for the track and not attempted on public roads.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Is there any state that uses the tape instead of paint for lines??

I know back in Iowa they used it, but only for temporary things like road construction areas. It is very slippery, but since it was primarily used around construction, we were always extra careful already.

--David

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
watch out for the...what the hell do you call them...the patch like things in the road...look like strips of tar..man those are slippery!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thnx for all the replies on such a simple question, i thought it might have been to simple, but the plastic bags, cans, man hole covers and other missolanious trash is somthing to keep my eyes out for as well. Ill remember that the lines can be alitle slick even when their dry, or may be the last part of the road to dry after a rain.

thnx again everyone

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by dwillits
Is there any state that uses the tape instead of paint for lines??

I know back in Iowa they used it, but only for temporary things like road construction areas. It is very slippery, but since it was primarily used around construction, we were always extra careful already.

--David
yip... i've seen those used in nj and florida construction zones as temp lines like you described.

trashmonkey... tar-snakes or road-snakes

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
ah yes, tar/road snakes...they suck. There is a road going to my parents that is freakin covered with them, you can feel the tires slipping when you hit them...probably more so because I have stockers on still.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by ******

yip... i've seen those used in nj and florida construction zones as temp lines like you described.

trashmonkey... tar-snakes or road-snakes

Georgia has started to use the tape too. Some of the interstates around Atlanta have undergone alot of construction in recent years & the tape has been used on alot of it.
It has a tendency to peel up & have a tail that blows around in the wind of passing cars, makes you think there is something blowing out in front of you.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I've drifted 3 times now on my 05.. and my asshole puckers every time! The first time was because of the cycle shop not securing my drain plug very well.. covered my tire, along with everything else, in oil, and I didn't know it until it was too late. I took a relatively sharp turn much slower than I normally would not even 1/4 mile from my house.. Took the turn at about 40-45mph and the back of the bike kicked all the way around sideways! Somehow I didn't lay it down or bail out. It was amazing, but the scariest thing in the world!

After that incident I've had the tires drift out from behind me just a touch on two other occasions. I don't know how far they kicked out, but it felt like it was a good foot (probably not). I don't know if I just hit slick spots, or if I was pushing the stock tires too hard.. but it will get your heart beating fast!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kinda off-topic, but I thought newbies would appreciate and experienced riders would be able to comment:

In contruction zones, sometimes there is uneven payment (One lane higer than the other).

How on earth do you go from the lower lane to the higher lane while traveling at speed? I know railroad tracks are a hot topic right now in the literature, so I thought you guys might want to comment on this as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.