Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried to paint a polished aluminum? i was thinking about taking the sticker off the pipe and painting the name of the pipe on the side...any ideas would be good

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't know how well paint sticks to polished aluminium, but you'd need to use a high temperature paint for the pipe. You might need to scuff the aluminium a little bit with some fine-grade wet & dry to get the paint to stick well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea my goal was to stencil out the lettering and the use a nice wet sand inside the stencil...then use and hight tem black......should work...i hope

·
Registered
56 Posts
I painted some old school wheels for one of my RX7s..
In the center I used some zinc based primer,is what you need for aluminum.Then I painted the center,and then use a shit load of clear coat.. this was all from a can.You couldnt even tell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The center was cast,very pitted from the cast,so it helped it stick easy..

I polished the lip..
If you are using the 2 step painting idea,go to the paint shop and ask for a primer its called something like Y2K,mention that and you are looking for zinc primer.You need it on aluminum or it wont stick at all.You will have to scuff it up some,and the zinc primer helps fill it in some.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
you dont need primer.just clean all the polish and scuff.then you can paint with a high heat engine paint.ive had really good results from dupont engine paint with ceramic.i did my frame,swingarm,subframe,passenger pegs and yes even the rearsets.it has all lasted well even the rearsets for all you people who say you have to powdercoat.i used low gloss black.heres a pic.only frame and subframe were done at this point.hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.