Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 zx6 and the fairings are scratched. I dont wanna buy new ones and I was thinking of painting them. I have the compressor and a paint gun. What kind of paint do you suggest? I want to match the candy electric blue as best I can and I only need to paint the lower left and right farings. If worst came to worst ill paint the whole bike but I really dont want to. Is there a certain type of paint to use with that plastic? Help please anyone.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey unlawfull- I ride over to the beach by you about twice a month. Are there some decent places to ride away from all the traffic? Hit me up and we can maybe ride sometime. As far as your paint goes, sorry I don't have a solution for ya, but my boy Ryan also has an '03 636 with some scrathces and he said he was going to look into the best way to fix it up. So whoever finds some solutions first get back to the other person and we'll figure it out.
Ryan is also on this site- RJinFL is his screen name.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the paint you want to use is flexi base paint. take a piece of the blue to a auto paint store. they will match it with a computer. you need only a quart of base, top coat, and clearcoat. dont forget the clearcoat hardener and some laquer thinner to clean your gun. with only a quart i painted all the fairings(front fender and undertail too). tell them its for abs plastic, so they know you really need flexi base paint. they tried to give me ordinary auotmotive paint untill i told them i was painting the plastic on my bike and didnt want it to crack.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey, i need to do the same thing to my 99 on the lower left fairing. someone told me to check www.color-rite.com so i did. they have the paint color and the clearcoat there. but is this paint going to be that flexi stuff that was recommended. the website matched the paint to my 99 zx6.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So should I go with that color rite site, or my local paint shop?

tommyboynjataol, Id rather be painting those type of body parts.lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Arturo,How did you sand the plastics grits,type of snadpapper,primer etc... and if I have cracks in my fairings are they doomed for paiting or repairable.They are not huge cracks where plastic is missing,just splits just splits I guess.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
if its just cracks, you can fill it in with body filler(bondo). bondo will not glue back together pieces, just fill in any voids. you dont need to primer your plastics since it already has paint on it. just sand the plastics using light grit(i forget what kind, buts its the tan one) or you can wet sand. the plastics will turn white or have whites residue come off, thats the clearcoat. use primer where you have any bondo, you might not need any though if its minimal. are u experienced with bondo? its tricky the first time.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
dont buy color rite. its too much for the same thing at auto color stores. color rite is the closest color match to original, but not exact. the same thing can be found at any auto paint stores.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked it out and its sounds like there is about a 20 dollar difference in the paint shop vs color rite(paint shop being cheaper). So I guess Ill go with them. I was just wondering you said I need a base, top, and clear cote. I understand the base and clear but what is a top cote.

Now I just have to find someone good to spray it for me.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the top coat is the shiny glitter in the paint. when you shoot the base, its justa solid color. the top adds the glitter and some shine to it. if you have a gun, its not hard at all. the hradest part is making sure the base coat covers everything. have a bungee cord hold up the plastic or lay it on a table that you can walk around with.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I picked up the paint today. Some how they matched it up and its all in the base coat. There was a spot of the paint on top of the can and it looks the same. I got everything to do the job I just need to decide if im going to do it or have someone do it.[?]

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
if its a side fairmg, shoot it yourself. lay it down and shoot the exterior part. be sure to get all the inside vent corners.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah Im just painting the lower fairings so I think Ill try myself. I just need some more materials and equipment. Im going to pick up the bike today and I think im going to leave it alone for awhile. Just ride it and have fun, then spray it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.