Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to paint the Tank? Right now I have Black cowlings for my bike expect for the tank and the rear seat, so I'm thinking about either getting the tank painted, or just being stupid and doing it myself... So whats the best way to go about this and money IS an object.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
fingerpainting is always fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
take it off the bike, drain the gas out, and go get estimates from a few local body shops. That is the best way. Maybe if you've got any freinds in high school see if the local vocational school wants to take a crack at it. I really would NOT try painting it yourself if you want a professional looking job. I tried painting a car, bought a gun and all the good base coat/clear coat paint, read a book. 20 ft away looks fine, 2 ft away looks like crap, it's something somebody has to teach you to do.

But hey if you don't want professional results, go buy some duplicolor spray cans and see what happens.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you can make a rattle can job look pro with good prep.
first sand the tank down with 220 sand paper then switch to 600...
get a good automotive rattle can primer and lay it on thing for about 4 coats. wet sand the primer till it feels super smooth. then do buy dupi color black and a dupi clear...(when painting it is important to have a place were there is little or no dust) lay VERY thin coats of the black down. the thiner the coat the cleaner it will look in the end. lay about 5 or 6 real thin coats then i would let it sit for 2 or three days for curing time. then look over the tank and look for light spots (if there is any) spray if needed.... the clear is the hard part. lay a coat down as thin as you can make shur you get good coverage and let dry over night. wet sand with 600 and do it again untill you are happy.... with black alot of the work is in the clear coat so prepar for alot of work

1 - 4 of 4 Posts