Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my new Attack Performance bodywork sitting in my living room and hope to install before my next track day in a few weeks.

I'll probaly just run it primered for a while but would like to at some point paint it (or get it painted). I don't care about perfect quality paint on this so I was thinking of just painting it myself with spray paint.

Does anyone know where I can buy green spray paint that will match closely with the stock Kawi lime green (since I still have the green tank)?

Any suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used PPG, you can read the color code on the can in the pic. It was for the '04-up dirtbikes, but was close enough for a roadrace bike. This was for someone else's bike (never borrow a bike to race, you might end up crashing....)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input.

Both look great!

mike574, did you use the spray paint?...how much did it require?

kz2zx, what kind of equipment did you need to use that kind of paint? Was the paint expensive?...did you add a clear coat?

·
Registered
481 Posts
For the color and clear, I used a Sharpe Finex 320 HVLP conversion gun with a 1.3mm needle, and my 5.5 horse compressor. Yes, I used two-coats-of-clear, it's a two-part paint system, the clear was PPG Deltron 2000. One word of caution - the catalyst for the clear is some nasty stuff that can cause asthma.

The paint was about $140, counting primer, would have been about $30 less if I'd painted the fender and belly green also (I painted them black). The yellow I had already - 1/2 pint of Southwestern Bell Yellow (it's cheap) works for a few bikes. All the sandpaper and tape and stuff probably added $35; you'll need some wash thinner too, and latex gloves.

You can borrow a gun from somewhere, prolly. Harbor Freight sells ones made in China cheap, they'll probably work well enough for a racebike. My Sharpe is bottom-end, but I do a real good job sanding/prepping to make up for it, my only concern is spraying orangepeel in the dry AZ heat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually found some spray paint that matched good at the auto parts store. If I remember correctly it was engine paint, but I may be wrong..... I know it was at Discount Auto parts or Auto zone or something though....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info. Asked around on a local forum and my suspicion about having a shop do the painting being expensive was correct :(

Anyway, I was looking around and came across this PJ1 Spray paint.

Mfg part number : 17KFG

Anyone know how well this matches the '05 ZX6R lime green?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.