Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am planning on getting those painted black over the winter but I don't know a whole lot about paint and ways to get them painted. I am planning on taking them into a local paint shop but is it best to get them powder coated, or just painted black??? Don't want to seem like a complete idiot when I go in there. Some help would be nice. Also, I have the 06 SE so what colour black would be recommended, a matt black or a glossy black or something different? I was thinking a matt black.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I would go with powder coat. Will stand up better especially the pegs since your boots are on them all the time. I think a matte black would look nice. Just seen a post from a guy that had the SE and he got his power coated red. Looks nice.

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70841

·
Registered
735 Posts
+1 on the powdercoating. Very durable. Some places that powdercoat have a minimum on quantity so I suggest you get as much done at the same time to save money. Post pics when done.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I painted mine with a spray can. I got a flat black to match the frame as close as possible, and it turned out real good. I primered them first, then put 3 coats of black on. The pegs have worn down and show some silver, and I didn't put the heel guards back on.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by hokie636
I painted mine with a spray can. I got a flat black to match the frame as close as possible, and it turned out real good. I primered them first, then put 3 coats of black on. The pegs have worn down and show some silver, and I didn't put the heel guards back on.
:D

We still eventually going to hit up the local powdercoater? It will be quite some time before I'm ever able to do that, but I'm hoping you're still interested as well. It will be cheaper for them to do two sets at a time instead of one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you powder coat the rear sets, etc, what about the bolts that hold it all onto the bike? Do those get powder coated too, or would that ruin the thread on them so they wouldn't fit back in place? I guess you could just buy black bolts if that didn't work. What have other people done?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by newfie
If you powder coat the rear sets, etc, what about the bolts that hold it all onto the bike? Do those get powder coated too, or would that ruin the thread on them so they wouldn't fit back in place? I guess you could just buy black bolts if that didn't work. What have other people done?
There's a local shop that does anodizing and powdercoating.. I haven't put much thought into the bolts, but I think anodizing them would be a good solution.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Adam, I'm not gonna worry about powdercoating anything on mine. If I ever do anything diffedrent with my rearsets, I'll get some good aftermarkets in black.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want a set of rear sets that are that goldish color anyone know where to get them? i think powder coating is the better way to go?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.