Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The video you are about to see shows a pair of ZX-6Rs at Jennings GP. In the shoot, my friend Jeff (636Hooligan) rides the camera bike and I ride the other bike.

We tried several sessions to hook up on the track. In some sessions, we were at opposite ends of the track and never saw each other.

We then decided to take to the track together, giving the other riders a bit of a head start. I chose not to ride at my personal limit because I had no mirrors on the bike and did not want to lose Jeff. But at his speed, he likely had one hand off the clip-ons.

The video shows two laps of that session. It starts across the start/finish line into the first turn and ends coming out of the last turn.

To see the video, turn up your speakers, right-click this link, and then click Save Target As.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by Rob Lee

To see the video, turn up your speakers, right-click this link, and then click Save Target As.
"You don't have permission to access /~rcarolin/track/Cap0009.mpg on this server"

Is it only temporarily down or have you moved the file elsewhere? I would really like to see that video.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I could.... buut I can't download it again.

Nice one [:M86] though you could have showed how you passed those guys you caught up with [:p]
Looks like a pretty smooth track.

That 03 just sounds so much more badass then my ol' 02. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike but it does sound sorta timid or shall we say refined in comparison with the 03.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mr. Moderator, I downloaded the video fine at about 20:30 GMT (12:30 PST).

Way-cool. I'm not quite motivated enough to complete my own video-making setup, which will be about $1,000 for the equipment. Got the computers, just need the pen cam(s) and sundry.

Maybe I should hire-out at the local track for trackdays and turn this into a cottage industry, hmm.

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hey Rob, great post as always... very kewl watch.

Pretty interesting to see the different lines you two are taking through some of the turns, especially on the back section. I might make it down to FLA this Spring... now you're making me want to bring our bikes so we can try to keep up with ya !!! (Home track advantage of course... ;))

·
Registered
57 Posts
cool video, how often do you go out there?

tip: you can go a gear higher through 3. turn in later and you can carry a straighter line through 3-4-5. drag a knee through 3 then bleed off speed through 4 then lay it over for constant radius 5/6. i don't hit the brakes until right after i pass the 3 marker. course i'm on a 2001 so i might not be going as fast, you also said you weren't riding balls out though so maybe thats why..

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ok, I just downloaded and watched it. Seems to work now.

Nice vid, nice driving, and a nice track :). Allthought the track seemed a bit flat.

There was no shaking/vibrations on the picture, so I assume that either that track is silky smooth, or you have a really good camera?

But it's really heartbreaking to watch it. The winter is nearly here, my bike is crashed and claimed by the insurance company. So I can't go to a trackday for atleast next 7 months and the last time I was on track was 2003/08/10 :(. I'm loosing my mind...

·
Registered
57 Posts
flat: yes, welcome to florida
track is pretty smooth expect for where people crash alot, turn one is getting kinda bumpy, turn 8 and 9 and also some of 13. also looks to be done with a fairly nice camara.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Excellent footage, impressive riding. And what a track! Ours is pretty nasty, IMO. Plenty of pavement seams, bumps, and rough patches.

Question: Are you guys running that pace on street tires?

·
Registered
132 Posts
What? Pacific Raceways "nasty?" Bumpy, pavement patches, why...you...<steam rising>

J/K: indeed, that's why I call it the "Ghetto Track." PR could use a couple million in upgrades to layout and facilities, but I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon.

Weirdly enough, PR's very fun on a ZX but for one thing: jarring due to harsh compression on the '03. Dial that out as much as feasible, it's really a ton of fun. Crossing the pavement transition on the front straight will threaten a tank-slapper without a steering damper, too, not just once but almost every lap.

Anyone riding hard on the track with street tires has bigger balls than me. That extra $100 spent on race rubber seems a real bargain compared to the cost of bodywork and lower-leg surgery.

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey! Sorry about the late reply, but I haven't checked the board much lately. The camera mount is from sportbikecam.com. As you can see it works great with a camcorder and mounts the camera far enough forward so it is out of the way. I'll be at Jennings on Nov. 9th and hope to get some more footage. I had been running Michelin Pilot Race S2/H2 combo, but recently have switched to Pirelli SuperCorsa's Soft/Soft combo for better geometry on the 636. Later.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lee, your video kicks ass.That is a great track ,i road it about 6 months after it opened.I was have a great day untill my last goaround,i crasted in the tight s's in the back.
great video & riding

Barry

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run Metzeler Rennsport race tires. You could safely run that pace with street tires, but if you are serious about improving at the track, race tires are a better choice.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nice video Rob, props! [:M86]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nice vid.

I saw Greg Melka screaming on Jeff's bike three weeks ago at Jennings GP.

Hey Rob, are you going to be at the track this weekend (Oct 25-27)?

I missed Jeff by a little while the last time I was there, but I'd like to meet you guys.

My plan is to start doing track time next spring.

Sad about Bryan Cassell. I know he rode at Jennings GP. The flag was at half-mast yesterday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.