Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the new post.
i have a VERY important ? to ask. well to make the story short, parents have rode bikes a long time. dad is cool just not the part of a big city. mom is a ball of nerves. i am 15 and i have been rideing for 8 years. can get a full liciense in TX and i dont understand why they wont get me one. i have ran the part abot the MSF and the 250cc's and i even offered to pay notes! does anybody have a sugustion about what i should do?

·
Registered
126 Posts
wait till your 18 and get one anyway. till then your parents own you and you should do what the say. start out by driving a car on the roads. even if your bike abilities are good you have no experience on the road and should get that out of the way in a 3000 pound sled with airbags

and if your wondering im not some old fart either, im 23 and felt the same way you do when i was 16 but now looking back i realise it was the right thing to do

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
yeah. i agree. i'm 26 and i didn't start riding on the street until i was 23, but if i were you, i would definitely learn to drive the car first. negotiating traffic (esp. with all the crazy people out there eating pancakes and reading the morning paper while they drive) can be a lot trickier than slamming down some laps on a motocross track.

i don't know about where you're at, but here in ohio the msf class is free if you are under the age of 18 and you get priority to choose what class you want, etc. if i were your parent, i would be much more swayed to consider letting you get a streetbike if you took the msf class. that would show me you are serious.

here's another suggestion, tho... have you considered a scooter? before i got my ninjette, i rode a honda metropolitan scooter around for a summer, just to get the feel for traffic. it's top speed was only 40 mph, so i couldn't get to far away from home on it, but i did learn alot. including that it can do burnouts. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I to agree. I just got my bike 2 months ago and im 22. Just get a car and show your parents that you are responsible enough to drive that first. Dont get tickets, dont hit anything etc. Should make getting a bike in the future alot easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agree as well. I rode dirt bikes all growing up, and wanted a bike bad as soon as I got my license. My parents said no, to wait for college. I think that was a great decision as I learned how to drive in a car (much more forgiving of new driver mistakes).

You have your whole life ahead of you, waiting a few years is a good choice. When I got to college my dad even gave me my first bike. So, it can pay off in the long run too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yea i guess you all are right, but i have been driveing since i was 12; without my parents. and i have not had a wreck, no tickets, i just got my license 4 months ago, and i drove from Jackson, Mississippi to my house at the time in Lake Charles, Louisiana. i mean its not like i dont know what idiots are out there on the road. it just annoys me because my mom got her first street bike when she was 15 and i argue the point with her because it was only a 80, but it was still on the highway! and she says that an 80 is much smaller than a 250+ and i know that but if they still made 80's to go street legal i would be like heck yea get that just to make her confidence in me better. but thank you all for the imput and hte advise.

·
Registered
336 Posts
to tell you the truth kurby, i prolly will keep the ninja and race prep it to have some low speed fun lmao.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i agree i am 19 been riding bikes(dirt) for about 3 yrs.. but i am glad i learned about to crazyness of driving in a jeep ..instead of a bike ...I would be DEAD by now if i learned on a bike

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'l second that motion... I'm 25 and just got my first bike, been into bikes for a while, but I stayed away when I was younger cuz I knew I would be irresponsible with it and try to show off and do stupid stuff, plus i didn't have the extra money either.

Now, I'm not saying thats what you will do, but the more road exp you have the better. You start to develop a sense for what the idiots on the road will do, and it really helps both in a car and on a bike.
Now, you say you have exp on the road, so maybe try the angle that if you get it, you only ride with your dad when he is riding till they are comfortable with your road skills.... worth a shot

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by nanner
sorry for the new post.
i have a VERY important ? to ask. well to make the story short, parents have rode bikes a long time. dad is cool just not the part of a big city. mom is a ball of nerves. i am 15 and i have been rideing for 8 years. can get a full liciense in TX and i dont understand why they wont get me one. i have ran the part abot the MSF and the 250cc's and i even offered to pay notes! does anybody have a sugustion about what i should do?
don't ever say sorry for posting! That's what forums are for! what you think that we're selfish and get mad when people start responding to other threads and not our own? : ) silly..

I'm nineteen and am getting my license soon. I'm glad I waited.. It just spares the drama between my parents and I. I know we all sound silly and you don't wanna listen but it IS true that you have so much more time to wait.. For now just do what you've always been doing and when the right time comes (the holy grail- 18 years of age), it will feel SOO good that you waited- that goes for a LOT of things as well... like credit cards, cars, no curfew, listening to your parents when they say no, blablabla.. it wasn't long ago that I was fifteen too.

but if you can't wait, then show your parents some EXTRA responsibility- like cleaning up the home when you're not asked, and don't mention it, wash the cars/ bikes, get the mail, print out articles about motorcycle safety online and post them up on the fridge.. and subconsciously, they will lighten up and naturally start to trust you more, and who knows, they just might change their mind. Just don't rub it in that you're doing all these good things, or else it will defeat the purpose of doing them! They will catch on that you're just trying to suck up. so don't make it too noticeable!

hope this helps!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Respect your parents. wait till you're 18 and in the mean time save that loot so you can get something nice (gear, etc). Also start looking and lining up insurance. Like the dude above me said, show some responsability and patience.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by serioone
Respect your parents. wait till you're 18 and in the mean time save that loot so you can get something nice (gear, etc). Also start looking and lining up insurance. Like the dude above me said, show some responsability and patience.
I'M NO DUDE!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I never had one in the first place... was too lazy to chop it down size. : \

And it's all your inspiration! haha jk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
haha damn Jose just read her name Karena Lei... its ok Jose people make mistakes haha back on topic im lucky enough to have parents that let me ride well my moms the one who got me riding in the first place she wanted me to have the experience whether i liked it or not and well i did and she even bought me my 2nd bike haha:D

·
Registered
157 Posts
spoiled little #$*!$&%^# : ) jk

can i come over? i would love to be adopted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.