Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a first floor condo today, and it comes with 2 parking spaces 1 covered and 1 open air... i feel if i leave it out, someone will mess with it. There's no gate at the entrance but there is security guards that make rounds at night and sometimes durring the day. How often do people actually steal bikes? if i had it in the locked position.....would that keep them from takin it, other than carring it away i guess.

The place is only a 1/1 with 750 sqft.

Any Ideas

·
Registered
579 Posts
Takes less than a minute to steal a bike with the clip ons locked. If you can get one of the motorcycle chains (the thick ass ones that weigh like ten pounds), chain your bike up to a secure object. Or you could just ride your bike inside your first floor condo.[:p]

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
some kind of locking device, preferable one that goes to a solid NON-movable opject...

Also get a bike cover for that sexy girl, as that way you are keeping the..HEY THERE IS A ZX6R OVERTHERE down some...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
1st floor? Park the bike in the condo. Give up a small peice of furniture to make sure you bike can go inside. They really dont take up alot of room if you plan things right. Mine gets parked inside my apartment every night no matter what. They can't steal what they can't see. And like jdgun said, if you have to park it outside, get a bike cover and religiously cover it every time you come home. And lock it up good. The more a pain in the ass it is for you to lock up, the more likely its going to be a pain in the ass for a theif to get unlocked and mean that he will most likely pass it up for easier pickings.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Inside,but its more for climate control than theft deterent.Bikes stay at a constant 70 degrees and 60% humidity.Over time it pays off,they stay newer longer,the tyres really appreciate it(stay sticky longer).The drawbacks are relatively minor,or at least can be delt with......gas evap.,and general stink.Best of luck,BW

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just do like i did and rent a storage unit.I pay like 45 a month and i can squeeze 2 of my bikes in it.I just bought a house with a garage so ill be getting rid of it

N

·
0 Posts
NOTHING will keep someone from taking ur bike if they really want it. bring it inside. guaranteed it will be safe

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
NOTHING will keep someone from taking ur bike if they really want it. bring it inside. guaranteed it will be safe
Well, you were ALMOST right..

Here's how it really is: If someone wants your bike bad enough, they're going to get it. I don't care if you lock and cover it, or if you take it inside and sleep next to it. If someone wants it bad enough, they're going to wait around for you to slip.. and they're going to get it right out from under your nose. That's why it's important to have insurance!!! ...because there's no such thing as 'good enough security'

·
Registered
605 Posts
that's why it's important to have insurance!!! ...because there's no such thing as 'good enough security'

[:+1]

Exactly get fully insured don't worry about it. If it gets stolen you get a check:D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by BWS
Inside,but its more for climate control than theft deterent.Bikes stay at a constant 70 degrees and 60% humidity.Over time it pays off,they stay newer longer,the tyres really appreciate it(stay sticky longer).The drawbacks are relatively minor,or at least can be delt with......gas evap.,and general stink.Best of luck,BW
There is no smell or stink to deal with. If my bike wasn't parked inside and you walked in my apt, you would never know I parked in there. The only real draw back is the minor amount of extra dirt that the bike brings in from the tires and such. I park the bike on a spare peice of carpet to protect the good stuff underneath. If you have no carpeting, then you don't have any worries at all.

Renting a storage unit is an good option if you don't ride every day. If you are like me and use the bike for your main transportation, a storage unit is out of the question. Way to inconvenient to make it worth while when you need access to the bike for your daily commute to work.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You know what is a possible good combination that I'm thinking of doing since I moved here to CO, and no longer have a driveway, and a garage...

Since I already own 2 bikes, I'm thinking about picking up a storage unit somewhere (there are tons of them here in the area I live in), keeping the Hawk and whatever shiney new bike I decide to pick up next year in the storage container, and use my Honda Pacific Coast for normal commutting, or to go get the bike I want to ride up in the mountains that day.

Only thing to figure out is a way to find out what type of theft problems a storage facility has.
Not going to do you much good if good ol' Earl calls up his buddies, and lets them know there's a shiney new Ducati ST4 in lot number 231.

BC.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
you should park it inside. if you get a rear race stand, the bike is held up perfectly straight and takes up considerable less room than if its on the side stand.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
No brainer: take it inside. Even then, LOCK it when you're not home.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
if your in florida u better take it inside at night. if u lock it to an object they will still try to cut the chain. if they dont cut it then they'll prolly fuck it up cause their pissed. if u lock it with a chain thru the wheels or something like that, they'll pick it up and throw it in the back of a van or truck.

ask yourself, how am i going to feel when i walk out the door and it's gone. alot of bikes get stolen in florida man. it's happened to first day owners.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
yea def park it inside! Y cant you park in the the covered garage? Mine fits either infront or behind my car. They really dont take up all that much room. If u decide to go outside, def lock it up at all times

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's settled then, inside it goes. I just hope i don't have someone to report me since were not allowed to have combustible liquids in the condo. If that happens, i'll have to cover it up and get an alarm. And see how i can chain it to my truck. I did see a cruiser parked by it's self there, but i figured who would want to steal that. I'll have to take a ride around the whole development to see just how many people there ride bikes and how they park.

what are some good alarm's that come with a transmitter? Just in case while i park it at a store or somthin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aloha!
Well I live in FL Biker Central "Daytona Beach" Beach side aswell. There's truley nothing you can do to keep your bike safe. If they want it they'll get it! Night Or Day! Guys who steal bikes go to the extreem, They will stalk you from first sight of you. Get to know your routine.NO HOUSE, GARAGE, STORAGE, LOCK, CHAIN! 10-1000Pnds Will keep them from getting your bike for the parts they need. Oh and that LO-Jack Crap!Theres nothing like calling the COPS, just for them to take you to were your dismanteled bike is! And for them "SAYING WE FOUND YOUR BIKE SIR" Is a Joke and a waste of your money. The best thing is to have Full Coverage on your bike for that piece of mind...... Keep your records on your baby and you'll be fine! Here in Daytona we Two Mayjor Events Here "Bike Week" And "Biketober Fest" About 100-350 bike are stolen each event. So From my pesonal experience Do The Insurance...
Aloha! Keep aiming for that smaller Chicken Line!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.