Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys go to a movie or somewhere that you are going to be in the place for a while what do you do with your bike? I was thinking of getting a huge cable with a big lock to lock my bike to a pole or something so no one can steal it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
When I go somewhere where I will be for a while, I park it anywhere that is easily visible, and that many people may pass (not closely, but just in eyes view). If I were going to go to the movies or something, and then come straight home, I'd probably drive.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i park it on the side by the front door.
casual

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
movie theaters and parking garages are primo locals for theft. I try to never take my baby there. but if I do I do bring a metal link chain and a lock. Don't get a cable no matter how thick. They are way to easy to cut through. 20 or 25' metal link chain that I bought from walmart about 4 years ago for about $10. It is pretty thick too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was asking because a group of bikes are going to see torque this weekend on our bikes. I guess I'll chain it up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I go to the movies I have those quick release bolts on my front wheel like a 10 speed bike. I just take my front tire to the movie with me. Kinda sucks though because sometimes you have to pay for an extra seat for the wheel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now I'm gonna be serious my buddys GSXR 6 got stolen outside a movie theater one night. we all rode to the movies and when we came out he thought we were bustin his balls till one of the girls selling tickets said "Oh I saw 4 guys pull up and put it in the back of there truck and drove away. She said I thought it was one of theirs and it was broken down. Needless to say we never saw it again. And that was the last time I rode to a place where I'll be away from my bike for a while.

·
Registered
401 Posts
usually don't ride any place like that, but minitrker's right it only takes a minute for it to disappear. maybe if u guys bikes are all lined up they wont touch them b/c they wont know which one to steal. or i would look obvious moving one bike when it looks like they all came together

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ride it right the hell in there with you! Tell him if people use wheelchairs you should be able to bring the bike in with you.

No but as mentioned before. If you MUST and shit. I always take any opportunity possible to take my bike out for a ride partk it in clears view of people hoping someone else with a bike see's that thing and asks the people who are taking the bike. I know if I saw a group of guys grabbing a bike and putting it in a truck I'd ask them and then call the cops unless they showed me the registration and then just incase take the license plate of the truck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
park in sight. chain it up, and hope like hell you have enough insurance to cover the cost of a new one. i ride every where and have never had a problem! but that's down under for you![:p]

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I just pull up into a normal parking spot, and go about my life. If someone's going to steal it, so be it. That's what my insurance is for.

Now, if I didn't want it to get stolen, then I would install one of the sattelite tracking devices Ash and I were talking about. Her bike shop was installing a system on a customer's bike, and she sent me info about it. Looked pretty neat.

Someone steals you bike. You go look at a website, find out where it is, and go get it, with a bunch of your friends. Maybe even return home with a couple extra toys. [}:)]

BC.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We usually ride in the mountains and spend most of the day riding. At lunch we try and park where the bikes can be seen. We usually ride as a group (4 or more) and park together. A thief will probably pass on a group of bikes thinking if they are seen by one rider they will have to deal with the whole group.

Bikes are easy to steal. Locking it to something with a heavy chain will deter someone just passing by. If someone really wants it, they'll have the tools to cut any chain and take it.

Any time you leave it you run the risk of getting it stolen. That unfortunately is why we all have insurance.

After a track day a friend left her GSXR600 on the trailer in her driveway overnight. It was locked to the ball on her trailer hitch. The bike was chained to the trailer. Someone came by and unbolted the ball and took the trailer. That was 8 months ago and she never saw the bike or trailer again.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
If someone has an eye on your bike and they want to steal it, they will no matter where you park. Now of course, don't make it easy for them, don't park it in the farthest spot away from the theatre or mall entrance and use a chain or a disc lock. When I go to the mall, I park on the less crowded sidewalk and don't stay in the mall too long (I worry more about someone getting on it and/or knocking it over).

I had a bike stolen from an apartment complex I lived in, more than likely it was rolled on to the back of a truck. Unfortunately, it was paid-off and I didn't have full coverage on it, it was too expensive for me at the time (I'll never make that mistake again). Once they are gone, they're gone, you'll never see her again.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I view it like a terrorist threat....If I change the way I live my life, they win...

I can be smart about it, I think I have a really good street sense...but I'm not gonna change the way I live because of a 'threat'

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i went to a movie theater and parked on the sidewalk right where people walked into the main doors, i also put a disc lock on it
other than that nothing

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.