Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it acceptable to park on the walk ways in front of stores? I have seen a few bikes on the sidewalk of stores like Target ect. and was wondering if this was kosher. My hunch is that it's probably not legal but I figured it was one of those things that the police let slide.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Every situation is different. If the part of the sidewalk is clear and out of the way, I could see it being tolerated. If you see bikes parked like that places, it may be employees or something. If the part of the sidewalk has allot of foot traffic, I dont think they would like you parking there. I wouldnt want to park on a sidewalk that a lot of people will be walking by your bike on. Try parking on the extra space at the ends of the rows that have the slanted lines through them. Just be careful not to park in those near handicapped spots. I dont think the police will bother with it, unless it is in the way, near a door or fire exit, or near/in a fire lane or by a fire hydrant. Regardless of where it is I would think the store has the say and would probably be the ones to call the cops. Ask the store nicely if you can park there if you go there a lot. frequently.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx, i agree but wanted to get the opinon of some fellow riders
i'll probably just park in the normal spaces, i dont know what i was trying to do, save an extra 50 steps at most, damn i'm lazy

·
Registered
562 Posts
I never park on a side walk b/c what if a handycap person needs to get by and there is pleanty
of room in your opinion but for a wheel chair is different. Just my .02. Safe riding.

--Anthony

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just becareful not to pull in too far in the normal parking space if there are alot of cars. There are alot of stories where cagers pull in too fast without checking the space for bike, and slamming into you bikes. I try to park away from all the cars if I have to park in a nomal parking space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
itg depends on your city here in biloxi its legal to park your bike on a side walk but the neighbor city of gulf port its not legal and my friend almost got a ticket for it [xx(]

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Stay away from exits, handicap access, and leave enough room for pedestrians to get by and you'll usually be ok. I park on sidewalks all the time - it's usually under cover, and ALWAYS safe from cagers racing into (what they think is) an empty spot.

Keep in mind, if you're caught ON the bike on the sidewalk (even with the motor off) you can be cited for driving on the sidewalk in most places.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've parked on the sidewalk before but only when there is an assload of room. as for parking at malls and other large places i always make sure that my bike is near the back end of the stall so that people coming can see it past the ass end of that big truck parked beside me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I always park at the back of the stall as well. I don't want some idiot cager on a cell phone flattening my bike because they thought they got a good spot. Unfortunately, everyone else who has a bike in my area doesn't understand this and I've almost flattened a few bikes myself while in my cage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by walla walla
Just becareful not to pull in too far in the normal parking space if there are alot of cars. There are alot of stories where cagers pull in too fast without checking the space for bike, and slamming into you bikes. I try to park away from all the cars if I have to park in a nomal parking space.

[:Agree] +1

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i think it is up to the business where you are parking on weather or not they will get upset about it or not. i do it and havent had any issue. first off. dont ride fast. second, park close to the wall, make sure there is enough room for handycap people, and wheel chairs get through, make sure the side walk is open and clear, and what i mean by this, is you dont want to pass a picnick (spelling) table. in the way, and lastly make sure there is an easy way to get off the sidewalk, you dont want to have to be annoying trying to back up infront of people or doors to get off.

one last thing i try not to park next to the door. if you can keep a good distance from the doors, like i said earlier, unless your law is differant from here in tx. the only way someone is going to do somthing is if the business complains. and if you piss off a customer who shops there, the customer can make a complaint, and then the business might do something. so make an extra point not to be a punk or prick and piss off any customers and there probely wont be any issues

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I've never parked on the sidewalk before.. I guess, depending on the circumstances, I might if there was plenty of room and it was out of the way, but only if the parking lot was entirely full and I felt my bike was unsafe in the lot.

Usually I'll park way back in the very back anyway to avoid getting flattened.. Nobody usually parks in the back, and the bike is in clear site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i always thought that would be a safe spot, until, at walmart(bridgeton in south jersey) a couple weeks ago a cart guy knocked over a guys harley. I was in the store and I heard, "will the owner of a red harley please come to the customer service desk." Ouch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.