Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was hell and I'm surprissed I passed. Was up from 6am until 11pm/12am for the two days of the course. Woke up, went to the motorcycle school, got out of class then immediately went to work until 10:15pm-10:30pm. Was exhausted mentally the entire time and the instructor was getting a bit frustrated with me since I was having problems absorbing all of the information. Oh yea, was my first week at my new job so it was like going to school from 8am until 10pm.

Ah well, passed, nearly wrecked the bike during the sudden stop test. Went a little too fast and hit the front break too hard causing the back tire (didnt use the back break) to slide. Saved it though. This was on a Ninja 250. Overall it was a hell of alot of fun. The most fun I've had in a LONG time.

I'm definately going to do alot of practicing when I get my 03 6R.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
congrats! it must be sweet working for 15 minutes:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSF Class: 8am until 5pm
Work: 6pm until 10:15pm

Drive from MSF class to work in San Antonio rush hour traffic, 45-55 minutes.

Time it takes for me to go to sleep, 1-3 hours since I have trouble going to sleep at night. About the only thing that puts me to sleep right away is a few perc 7.5 or 10s.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good job!!! I remember my class....like 3 people dropped out after the first day on the course....kinda funny....if you drop the bike and don't get back up and brush it off, it just wasn't meant to be!!!
The class is HIGHLY recomended for all riders if you ask me....its just good to learn EVERYTHING before actually takeing your life to the streets!!! I can bet that 1/2 my customers haven't taken the course (it's not required here in FL)...actually...I can bet that half of them don't even have the motorcycle endorsments (LOSERS)....don't tell them I said that...hehe

BTW....I'm jealous...we had to take the course on shity old GS250 suzukis...didn't have the luxury of a ninja 250!!! :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just moved from Florida. In Florida since I'm under the age of 21 but over the age of 18 I just have to have a drivers license and take the MSF course, thats it.

Here in Texas I *think* you have to take the MSF course and a written exam at the DMV. But since I know a loophole I just have to mail my MSF certificate to the Florida DMV and they send me a new license with a "MOTORCYCLE ALSO" endorsement on it. Takes 7-10 working days if sent by priority mail with a self-addressed priority mail envelope enclosed. :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
in texas you dont have to take the msf for your license. the msf just covers the driving part, if you dont have a insured bike to take your driving test with at the dmv.

when you get your bike insured or registered is it going to be in florida? if not your loophole is going to backfire. the msf certificate is from texas and valid only on a texas license, since you are driving in the state of texas with our laws.

best bet is to man up and take the written test at the Texas dmv, since its all the basic info covered at the msf. wonttake but 15 minutes and it has pictures ona computer. youll have your paper license that same day and the pastic one in 7-10 days. FYI;)

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Here in Las Vegas you can either go to the DMV with your bike and try to pass the test or you can take the MSF course and get your license with the completion card you get upon passing the course. I know that half if not more of the people here in Vegas do not have thier motorcycle license. And you can tell that very few have any clue how to ride. It's pretty scary on these roads out here.

By the way Congratulations on passing the course. I'm going for instructor training in March and hopefully I will pass as a new "rider coach" as they call them now. I'm in that class almost every weekend now observing the instructors and learning as much as possible. I'll have to do the whole course, but perfectly to get certified.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
was this the basic MSF or the advanced MSF class?

basic class seemed pretty damned eay to me, but I was riding a ex500 months before the class. I remember they put me on the Rebel 250 (cruiser) and it tooks me a few rides to get use to the seating and foot peg postiion, but after that I was scarping the pegs. Instruction and class cheered everytime I was making sparks with the pegs....

everyone in my class passed...a few girls dropped out the first day of riding though...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676
was this the basic MSF or the advanced MSF class?

basic class seemed pretty damned eay to me, but I was riding a ex500 months before the class. I remember they put me on the Rebel 250 (cruiser) and it tooks me a few rides to get use to the seating and foot peg postiion, but after that I was scarping the pegs. Instruction and class cheered everytime I was making sparks with the pegs....

everyone in my class passed...a few girls dropped out the first day of riding though...
I agree. The basic class was too easy. Art and I are supposed to take the advanced here pretty soon. I hear that you have to do some pretty wicked stuff, like one handed swerves etc. I guess I better get some sliders...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the basic course, hadn't driven a motorcycle or dirt bike so everything was new to me. Haven't even driven a standard car. But yes, it was much easier than most people think. Everyone who hasn't driven a motorcycle thinks it is very hard to drive one because it requires you to use a combination of your hands, feet, and eyes. You're pretty much only using one side of the controls at one time (besides the throttle). Left side for changing gears, right side for breaking. Thats how I thought of it before I took the class.

arturo3rd:

I am in the military stationed outside of Florida. How do I obtain a MOTORCYCLE ALSO endorsement on my Florida license?

1. Complete a military motorcycle course or a course approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
2. Send a copy of your completion card with $15 and request a duplicate driver license with a "MOTORCYCLE ALSO" endorsement on it. (Make check or money order for $15 payable to "DDL")
3. Be sure to include your name, mailing address, and driver license number in your correspondence.
4. Send the aforementioned to:

Bureau of Records
P.O. Box 5775
Tallahassee, FL 32314-5775

5. It will take 3-4 weeks to receive your duplicate driver license with "MOTORCYCLE ALSO" endorsement if you send your request via regular mail within the continental U.S.
6. It will take 7-10 working days to receive if you send via priority mail with a self-addressed priority mail envelope enclosed.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
when you get your bike insured or registered is it going to be in florida? if not your loophole is going to backfire
dont know what you last question is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.