Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if it's been covered already but I didn't see it anywhere and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new 250r. My only question is how it handles with a passenger. Im sure it depends on size quite a bit so I'm about 5'8" 170lbs and my girl is about 5'5" 120lbs. Would we be able to ride together on a 250? Anyone with some input on it I would love to hear what you have to say about it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
has been covered

no more than 400 lbs total, or is it 500....?

will be sluggish on acceleration
brake earlier
set tire pressures properly if you she will be riding with you most of the time

and have fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it was, but again thanks for your input, very new to these forums just signed up today. I did atleast attempt to search for keywords "250r passenger" with no luck lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It aint that bad 2-up on a 250. Me and my wife ride all the time me being 155, her being about 120 and it does its thing just fine.
Thanks, good to hear. I'm about 15 more lbs than you and passenger weight about same. I'm really wanting to get a 250r but wanted to make sure I could bring my girl along while riding! This will be my first bike and just about EVERYONE is telling me not to go 250r cause I will be tired of it in a couple months and out grow it. Even my father who rides a zx12 keeps telling me not to get one, he says I'd be wasting my money. I'm going to look at the all black and the white le version later this week, gotta admit I'm pretty excited about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If your new to riding listen to what you feel is your level, do you want to start out easy or do you want to make it harder on your self. without experiance getting a bigger bike to start on can be hard and more than less very painful. With a 250 with no passenger you can still make pretty good speed's, And the 250 is very forgiving when it comes to the new rider making mistakes. Don't listen to anyone but yourself.
Good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your new to riding listen to what you feel is your level, do you want to start out easy or do you want to make it harder on your self. without experiance getting a bigger bike to start on can be hard and more than less very painful. With a 250 with no passenger you can still make pretty good speed's, And the 250 is very forgiving when it comes to the new rider making mistakes. Don't listen to anyone but yourself.
Good luck and be safe!
I've been telling myself from the start to get a 250. The only experience I have is a 3 day safety course I took in Ohio which was the first time I've ever been on a bike(on a 250). Through that course I obtained a license which was great but it was all done in a lot with cones, no actual street riding. Not to mention we never left 3rd gear so I think the 250 will be good for me to practice shifting more. Thanks for reassuring me TB.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No problem J, ill tell you this tho, riding the 250 is a blast with just 1 person up you can haul pretty good for a 250, ive had mine on the back road up to about 109 so they will still cook for a 250cc bike!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! I'm thinking I'm just gonna get a new one since cheapest I can find a 2008 is for 2800 and 2009 and up is like almost 4k on craigslist.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,553 Posts
It handles 2 people rather well, surprisingly well actually IMO.

Good on ya for wanting the 250 man, it's a great little bike, as long as you understand that it's not a supersport-performing machine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Meh. Like any motorcycle, it depends on your expectations and the weight you put on it. With 290 pounds of passenger and rider, you're fine. My son likes to ride with me, together we're over 350 pounds all geared up. It stopped being much fun... so I got a larger bike.

Get the 250, but if you want a bit of advice (that you probably already figured out,) get a fair amount of riding on the street under your belt before you start taking passengers. Especially an inexperienced passenger. Their panic reaction can wreck you, if you aren't careful. And a modern 250 is certainly capable of panicking a passenger!

·
Registered
58 Posts
i weigh 150 and my girl is 120 and i actually think that the 250r turns in BETTER with a passanger, or at least one that knows to stay still when cornering. I have not really felt that much of diff in power ethier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 250 will do fine with both of you, my boyfriend is 6'2 and 170 and i'm 5'4 and 130 and he could ride me on my 250 no problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same passanger concerns before buying the 250 and i can honestly say that it handels me at 160lb and my girl at 120lb with out any issues. I ride with her a lot and is a blast to do so. I originaly wanted a 600 but thanks to the MFS course i realized that my skill level was with the 250 and I am so glad I listen to my gut instead of my friend who by the way bought a 600 and recked it 2 weeks ago. I in the other hand have not fallen or dropped the bike yet (knock on wood) and I hope i never do lol. Good luck and always wear your gear =)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome wicked! I took the MFS class also and learned so much and got my license all for $25, you cant beat that...I think at this point im trying to decide whether I want to buy new or used. I found a used 08 for 2500 but new one is 3999 or 4299 for the white se. Is there any engine difference at all between the 08 250's and the new ones out this year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It handles 2 people rather well, surprisingly well actually IMO.

Good on ya for wanting the 250 man, it's a great little bike, as long as you understand that it's not a supersport-performing machine. :thumbup:
I absolutely understand that Slev, i think all the people telling me to get a 6r are the ones who dont understand how big of a difference it is learning on the two diff bikes. Im gonna play it safe and go with the 250. Worse come to worse ill be trading it in for something bigger down the road sometime. Thanks for the input bro.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts