Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on how to make passengers more comfortable? My girlfriend is having problems, we've been on rides a couple of times already and she is starting to hate it... I also noticed the the back of my Suomy helmet where the plastic aero air piece is attached to the helmet is cracked, wtf? She head butts me...

·
Registered
246 Posts
My gf and I ride 130 miles one way 4 times a month, she hasn't ever complained and thats on the most uncomfortable model ever made 03-04 636

·
Registered
394 Posts
The head but thing is a problem yes, live with it.....
When she gets more experience on the back she will head butt you less. My wife hardly headbuts me anymore. YOu can also sit with your ass more to the back (makes up for the gap between you and her). She will then not have to crouch so far forward.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Is she hold onto you or are her hands on the tank? Make sure she is supporting herself by placing her hands on the tank, right in front of you. Just tell her to pretend she is giving you a reach around without actually doing it. Don't wanna wreck while you are getting one of those!! [:0]

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
this was under the newbie section:

Before I let a passenger onto my bike I host a briefing with them. I explain that so long as they are on my bike THEY are the boss - that if they want to slow down, or to stop, for any reason, we will do so. I explain that it is not my intention to scare them, ever, while they are on the bike, but to help them enjoy the experience. In exchange for this there is a price: They have four jobs while riding as passenger, and they must agree to get on and off the bike only with the permission of the driver.

I explain the 'passenger twist' where they connect their helmet cord while facing the bike, then do a full turn clockwise so that the cord wraps behind them before they get on the bike. That they get on and off only while I am on the bike, which is in neutral, and have both feet down and the side stand up (this, because if the side stand is down and they plump themselves on the saddle they will compress the shocks and that will lever the bike to the right - possibly all the way over onto its side!) I nod and tell them it is OK to get on the bike when I'm ready for them. I do the same when I'm ready for them to leave the bike. Finally, I ask that when they mount and dismount the bike they try to keep their weight centered on the bike - that they not pull the bike towards them but, rather, push themselves towards the bike.

I explain that while we are moving they can talk to me if they want, and that they may use the PTT button near their left hand to talk on the CB, but as to moving around, I'd prefer that they pretended to be a sack of potatoes (actually, I tell them they can move about, just not suddenly) - that they NOT try to help me through the turns - that they not lean in anticipation or when we are in a turn.

I tell them that I have never had an accident, but that no matter what happens while we are moving, they are to keep their feet on the passenger floorboards and never, ever, try to touch the ground with their feet to try to hold up the motorcycle. I show them the saddlebag guard rails and point out that they are heavy steel, like 'roll bars', and will protect their legs only so long as their feet remain on those floorboards.

Oh, as to those 'jobs' they have:

They are to wave at all motorcyclists approaching us in the opposite direction

They are to wave at all policemen who are on their feet

They are to wave at all children that show any interest whatever

They are to demonstrate to the world that they are enjoying themselves, particularly at all rest stops. Failing any of those jobs, I declare, will result in them having a new job when the ride is over - the spokes!

(There are no spokes on my Wing, of course.)

As to my own personal rules while riding with a passenger:

The only thing I want to 'show off' is that riding a motorcycle can be safe and enjoyable

I wish to challenge myself with the task of trying to shift gears without the passenger being aware of the activity (no head snaps in either direction.)

I want to start and stop with the passenger never quite sure that we have started to move or that we have come to a full stop - i.e., smoothness all around.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I have to agree with some of the others. When my wife is on the back, I always slide myself back to fill the gap, when she gets on and off the bike she actually uses one of my footpegs (she's short) and it's easier for her and me when she does that. She doesn't think it's really that uncomfertable but we did go out and I found her a bike of her own when she does wanna drive and lean and not just go along for the ride. 1990 Honda VTR 250...I must say it is a neat little bike and corners like it is on rails.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
My wife got her a new 250 last year, and problem solved! She's gotten real good on it too, and rides with me everywhere. Since I'm riding always solo now, I did this...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by 600Runner
Does anyone have any tips on how to make passengers more comfortable? My girlfriend is having problems, we've been on rides a couple of times already and she is starting to hate it... I also noticed the the back of my Suomy helmet where the plastic aero air piece is attached to the helmet is cracked, wtf? She head butts me...
You need to practice riding smoothly, and changing gears smoothly. And before you say you do ride smoothly, your girlfriend wouldn't be headbutting you constantly if you were smooth.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by j153c
Buy her a bike -- problem solved. :)
I agree..I used to ride on the back of my husband's busa (which is much more comfy than our bikes). After about 6 months of that, I had to get my own so I signed up for the MSF course and have been riding ever since. I don't understand these girls that just ride on the back...100 times more fun when you're in control.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you guys are all right... thanks for the info... we've been going out for 3 months now, and we've ridden about 6-8 times, the last one was the longest and she just wasnt feelin it... Oh, well, guess its not for everyone...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by Nigel

You need to practice riding smoothly, and changing gears smoothly. And before you say you do ride smoothly, your girlfriend wouldn't be headbutting you constantly if you were smooth.
i agree. hard braking will cause the bad headbutts as well. experience will allow you to remember the difference in braking pressure needed to stop smoothly when you're by yourself and when you have extra weight on the back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My girlfriend said that she trys to grip with her legs more. I notice her always sliding forward too from all the room but we never have really head butted. When shes on the back I basically drive like im driving miss daisy. ALso she props herself up on the gas tank. She has a pretty good technique for staying on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the main reason our girls get tired on the back is because they are constantly in the foward position...try having them sit up and put their hands on your shoulders (only in local streets or when cruising around town lol) you will see instant happiness. Just tap there knee when you want her to come down.. very simple fellas...called communication

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by pcracks25
the main reason our girls get tired on the back is because they are constantly in the foward position...try having them sit up and put their hands on your shoulders (only in local streets or when cruising around town lol) you will see instant happiness. Just tap there knee when you want her to come down.. very simple fellas...called communication
Have you guys noticed the straps under the passenger seat? Are these for the passenger to hold on to? I thought the passengers should always hold on to the rider.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by ddan24
straps under the seat??? [:M77] All I got is a muffler under there...
Yup... take the passenger seat off. Connected to the seat itself are two straps that stick out of the seat when its connected to the bike. You have to take them out though. It looks like they are for the passenger to hold on too but i can't see anything in the manual about them. Just wondering if anyone uses them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.