Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:p]

This is the question. I was comparing a custom map I had recieved from a friend, the one from the user on pc.com with the scorpion slip and k+n filter, with the stock 001 map on the pc site and noticed that when doing a comparision with the fuel graphs the stock lines were above both custom maps in ALOT of places...arn't these custom maps supposed to add more fuel or do I not know how to read these properly, im kinda a noob i guess. Dont want to run leaner than stock...it there also any way to tell if you're running lean without a meter?

·
Registered
590 Posts
All the slip on maps on the powercommander site make the bike run rich. Since the bikes run a little lean from the factory and adding a slip-on leans the bike even more....We need a custom map database:D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i heard too, but that still doesnt explain why the compare on maps shows the stock fuel map higher.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no one knows the answer to this??? maybe i'm retarded...but it seems counterproductive to add a map that appears to be more lean than stock

·
Registered
504 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that these additional maps are for fueling in addition to the map in the bike's ECU. In other words, the PC's either increase or decrease the amount of fuel from the stock map's baseline. If you put in a zero map (no + or - numbers), then you would be completely stock. Given that, it doesn’t take that much percentage points to change the throttle response, especially at less then 40% throttle. The other thing I noticed was that the Power Commander maps on their site were very rich. I’m actually am running a map taken from another setup (I still have the stock exhaust with the catalytic converter removed, stock filter) and have modified it several times (less rich) to get it where I like it and the bike runs a bit cooler in 100+ degree weather we had at the track this past weekend. It’s been a lot of comparison mixed with trial and error (and a lot of note taking) but it’s worth it. An easier way would be to get it mapped on a dyno with a 3-4 gas analyzer or get the Dynojet Wide Band Commander for AFR. Unless you’re racing professionally, just remember to run it just a tad rich at WFO for long term durability. It may make ½ an HP less but the motor will last longer when WFO and bouncing off the limiter.

Good luck,
Q

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the 001 map on the pc site it supposed to be an improvement on the stock setup??? A zero map is no modification at all? Kinda seems they made the stock setup ALOT richer when you compare to those with a slip or filter. Still kinda confused, dont want to run lean/

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no body knows anything about this?????????? wow im surprised, many have looked, none reply [xx(]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just checked out the 001 map against my custom map , now for the euro models they have to comply with some eu rules relating to noise and polution at certain speeds this puts the bikes in a given rev range and for example if you look at the 3500rpm range the custom map is adding more fuel to get around what the standard ECU is designed to supply. Because of the eu restrictions
Now moving up to 6500rpm the custom map is adding more fuel but nowhere near as much as 3500rpm and again at 9500rpm its still adding but still less than 6500rpm.Depending on the %of throttle as Q-ball mentioned
Past 12000rpm its actually taking fuel away.
So yes the standard ecu is supplying lean and rich as the engine has different requirements at different revs on different throttles in different countries and the one ecu has got to suit all these bikes.
Its better to run rich than lean, rich hits us in the pocket only, lean damages the engines and costs Kawasaki in warranties.
Is that any help
[?]

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep that does help...wish i wouldnt have run that map. Time to pull the plugs i guess.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
using the micron slip map now...more fuel is making the bike run much better and cruises 4800-5400 rpm like a cloud. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Im chuffed its worked for you, would be great to see what power it was putting out.
But thats another day, another dollar.
Have fun speak soon.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea we dont really have a dyno in this area that i know...and school and $$$. exsactly, another day another dollar.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I am running a slip on and BMC race filter and I agree that the PC3 maps are all extremely rich. I have been running my bike at the drags over the last few months and have gradually reduced the fueling at WOT to zero. I am running fairly consistent usually within 5 hundredths of a second per run. I have picked up about 2 mph by cutting back the fuel. While the bike is not going to be a rocket due to 95-100 degree weather and tropical level humidity, it have improved from 3rd gear up. It used to fall flat on its face until I started dropping back the fuel settings. The bike feels crisp and has good pull. I can barely wait until winter comes around and the temperature drops 30-40 degrees outside. If any of you live near a dragstrip I highly recommend using it as a place to help dial in your bikes. It costs me $15 a night to run my bike at the local strip. A dyno would be cool to fine tune some of the peaks and valleys of the map but, would be hard to duplicate ram air on the dyno.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.