Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I got my ignition module and quick shifter today. The instructions with the ignition module indicated that I needed to update the firmware on the PCIII before I could use the ignition module. So I did that, validated that it was updated, and put my map back on the PCIII. After doing so, the throttle position settings are fucked up. When I attempt to set the throttle position, both the "closed" and "current" settings read "0". When I accept that and start the bike, the RPM's read correctly on the computer ... but the throttle position just reads, "-----" and never changes. I called Dynojet and they said it is hardware failure and I need to send the unit in to them and they will either fix it or send me a replacement. They are probably right, but I wanted to see if anyone else ever had an issue with not being able to set the throttle position because I have a track day Monday and if I cannot get this fixed or figured out ... I don't get to do my track day and I am out the cash. I would just buy a new PCIII, but no one around here has one in stock. I called to have one overnighted to me on a special Saturday delivery and it is too late. FUCK! Any help would be appreciated.

PS ... if anyone that lives close to me (Near Omaha, NE) has a PCIII for an 05/06 ZX-6R, I would pay good money for it if I could pick it up tomorrow. If you have one, but don't want to sell it ... I'd pay to "rent" it for the weekend and Monday track day .... and would return it on Tuesday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The PCIII works without the ignition module, but doesn't work with it? Do the trackday without the ignition module?

If you weren't doing the track day on Monday, I would have sent you mine too.. My 636 has taken a back seat to other finances and is in need of a new front tire before I'll ride it again.. Sorry bro.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PCIII works without the ignition module, but doesn't work with it? Do the trackday without the ignition module?

If you weren't doing the track day on Monday, I would have sent you mine too.. My 636 has taken a back seat to other finances and is in need of a new front tire before I'll ride it again.. Sorry bro.
The ignition module is not hooked up yet. The PCIII is not letting me set the throttle position.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any way you can roll back the firmware? that even possible?
I've been trying and have been unsuccessful. It starts uploading but chokes when it is at 100%. Give an "init failure" message. Dynojet told me that is likely the 9 volt battery being weak. It still give this with a brand new battery. I'm just going to go on a quest for a new PCIII tomorrow even if I have to drive 250 miles to get one. I'll send this one in to get replaced ... and just have a spare or sell the new one when I get it back.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
I've been trying and have been unsuccessful. It starts uploading but chokes when it is at 100%. Give an "init failure" message. Dynojet told me that is likely the 9 volt battery being weak. It still give this with a brand new battery. I'm just going to go on a quest for a new PCIII tomorrow even if I have to drive 250 miles to get one. I'll send this one in to get replaced ... and just have a spare or sell the new one when I get it back.
that was my next question..about the battery.

sucks man.

how long is the warranty good for?

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that was my next question..about the battery.

sucks man.

how long is the warranty good for?
Not even sure about the warranty. It doesn't really matter though because Dynojet already told me that I can send it in and they WILL fix or replace it. The only part that sucks is that I need it Monday for a track day that has already been paid for. We get a discount for pre-registration. Without the PCIII I will not run my bike and lose my track money.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I had an issue with mine where it was just reading "0". Turns out it was just a bad connection where it taps into the wire from the TPS.

Reactions: speeddeemn

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had an issue with mine where it was just reading "0". Turns out it was just a bad connection where it taps into the wire from the TPS.
I don't know why I didn't think to look at that. I'm gonna get up early and check that out. Nothing on mine was really tapped ... it was just an inline harness plug, but something could maybe be loose etc... Thanks!

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't wait until morning! I took a look at the plugins for the TPS and everything feels secure. I took the tape off the harness where the gray and black wires run into the rest of the harness and there are no splices there. Those wires run all the way back to the PCIII. I cracked the PCIII open just to take a look inside to see if there was maybe a loose connection on one of the TPS wires. What I found is that nothing could EVER come loose in there ... nor does anyone have to worry about getting these things wet. The whole inside of the PCIII has solid wax stuff (not sure what it is called) poured into it completely sealing the wires from the elements and from coming loose. The only other possibility is the wires leading from the factory TPS plug back to the motor being loose but I cannot see back that far or get my hands back there without unbolting the motor. I'm guessing that it probably is the PCIII as Dynojet already suggested. Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I couldn't wait until morning! I took a look at the plugins for the TPS and everything feels secure. I took the tape off the harness where the gray and black wires run into the rest of the harness and there are no splices there. Those wires run all the way back to the PCIII. I cracked the PCIII open just to take a look inside to see if there was maybe a loose connection on one of the TPS wires. What I found is that nothing could EVER come loose in there ... nor does anyone have to worry about getting these things wet. The whole inside of the PCIII has solid wax stuff (not sure what it is called) poured into it completely sealing the wires from the elements and from coming loose. The only other possibility is the wires leading from the factory TPS plug back to the motor being loose but I cannot see back that far or get my hands back there without unbolting the motor. I'm guessing that it probably is the PCIII as Dynojet already suggested. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Well, sorry it wasn't an easy fix for you. If your TPS was bad a you would get an FI warning light, and I don't know if your bike would run at all. Looks like your PCIII may have gone tits up, sorry man.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, sorry it wasn't an easy fix for you. If your TPS was bad a you would get an FI warning light, and I don't know if your bike would run at all. Looks like your PCIII may have gone tits up, sorry man.
I found a new PCIII this morning in Lincoln! :D I hooked it up and everything works great. Just had a unit that unfortunately DID go tits up. I'll send it to Dynojet this week and they said they would either fix or replace it. I guess I'll have a spare now ... or if they send me a brand new unit I can just post it for sale here and get most of my money back.

Thanks again for your input. I sent some reps your way.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I found a new PCIII this morning in Lincoln! :D I hooked it up and everything works great. Just had a unit that unfortunately DID go tits up. I'll send it to Dynojet this week and they said they would either fix or replace it. I guess I'll have a spare now ... or if they send me a brand new unit I can just post it for sale here and get most of my money back.

Thanks again for your input. I sent some reps your way.
Well thanks for the reps, and have fun at your track day!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts