Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, and yes.

Seeing as my stock one was filthy, I installed the K&N. This is a touchy subject, seeing as many claim they notice a difference and praise the K&N. I really don't know if there's a noticeable difference with my bike, but I'm sure it's a whole lot better breathing for my bike than the dirty stock one I had. So, this hasn't really helped you at all has it? [:M7]

·
Registered
17 Posts
There seems to be a lot of differing view points on the benefits of aftermarket air filters. Some think they're crap or worse. How could they be worse?

I have a '96, would that make a difference?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by AtotheB

yes, and yes.

Seeing as my stock one was filthy, I installed the K&N. This is a touchy subject, seeing as many claim they notice a difference and praise the K&N. I really don't know if there's a noticeable difference with my bike, but I'm sure it's a whole lot better breathing for my bike than the dirty stock one I had. So, this hasn't really helped you at all has it? [:M7]
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a K&N. It must be better, surely?[:M75]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone fitted an aftermarket Air Filter (like a K&N or something)?

Is it worth it? (Pros and Cons - if any):D

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
K&N filters are great for cars and older bikes, but on modern bikes, where the manufacturers are doing every possible thing to get more power, the air filters are already damn good..
The K&N wont really offer you and performance gain, but I still got one as they are reusable, and I had one in my car and loved it.

I have not noticed any performance difference at all.

Some people feel they are not even as good as stock, I dont buy that, but it would depend on what else they had done to the bike, like exhaust work. IT will change the airflow for sure so a rejet/remap might be needed if there is an aftermarket exhaust on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your help mate.

I have a bolt-on pipe (was on when i bought it), and I was thinking of getting it on the dyno anyway. I'm pretty sure it's not running at peak performance. I think I'll get a K&N filter, than have that done - see if it needs re-jetting.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a TBR slip-on and PCIII usb on my bike. Put the proper map in for my setup----Bike would shoot out a pretty awesome flame when decelerating from a high rpm-----put a K&N in hasn't happened since.
IMO definite improvement over stock more airflow

From what I've been told:
More Air = More Power

Paul
/forum/uploads/thasher917/resized1.jpg

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
From what I've been told:
More Air = More Power
Maybe that's what K&N would have you believe, but the truth is that the optimized air-fuel mixture is the key to more power in the end. If you already are at this point, and then increase the intake, you're further behind. Being able to flow more air is important, yes, but having a fuel delivery system mapped or jetted ideally for that setup is even more important.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yeah like dj said, its all air fuel mixture. the computer in cars is what tells the engine how much air and gas to mix...but i dont know about motorcycle engines. i have a k&n in my mustang...sounds bad ass when my CAI sucks air in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the K and N, or any aftermarket filter is better than stock, why is it no aftermarket filter company will provide a dyno chart showing that? Try calling and getting a dyno chart.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
they use TV shows for that. theres one on TNN thats called Horsepower TV. they add K&N filters all the time and show they only gain some power with CAI and full exhaust, thats what i have too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.