Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys buy if you had the $$$ to do so. Would it be a priority to buy good gear first or buy performance parts for your bike then get gear?

I would think the logical order would be gear then performance but the temptation to buy those goodies sometimes overtake you. [}:)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
buddy, i got all my gear before i even got the bike.... i would never ride without my racesuit and the rest of the gear on...... so year gear first, performance upgrades second.. at the end of the day most 600 are fast enough....( and if u think they arent take it to the track and watch the good guys chop you up on the same bikes :D ) so performance upgrades are just for "finetuning" imo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you not have gear at all, or do have gear, but just want new stuff?? If you have gear that is in good protective condition, but is not as pretty as you would like it to be then I say get the performance parts. On the other hand, if you do not have gear at all then I would say a modified bike is more likely to kill you faster... especially if you do not have the proper gear!!! Saftey first, but poseur points can wait!!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Really performance upgrades for these bikes are hardly worth it. The motors are about maxxed out from the factory. If you want any real gains you may as well just get a liter bike. Most upgrades only offer 2 to 6hp. Thats not much. You can do NOS but then no track time for you. I say gear, itll save your hide and thats kinda priceless. If you have thousands to spend on making a 600 faster just trade it in on a faster bike.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
good gear without a question...bike is plenty fast now....

I have decent gear now, but I would get a few diffrernt kinda of boots, some different pants, different gloves etc depending on the weather and style of riding I do...

currently I really only have 2 set of riding gear...1 for extremely hot weather and one for cold weather.....doesn't allow me alot of options when it not hot or cold out ;)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by SOSMC
Do you not have gear at all, or do have gear, but just want new stuff?? If you have gear that is in good protective condition, but is not as pretty as you would like it to be then I say get the performance parts. On the other hand, if you do not have gear at all then I would say a modified bike is more likely to kill you faster... especially if you do not have the proper gear!!! Saftey first, but poseur points can wait!!!!!
I Have gear but I want better gear. See my dilema is to either get full leathers and boots or to get a steering damper and Jet Kit.
Right now I have 2 Textile Jackets with armor and steel toe boots. That's it. No pants. (That sounds funny, me riding around with no pants:D).
The performance upgrade is chaper but I really want those damn leathers! I know that once I have enough money to get the parts I'll be tempted to buy them and get the leathers at a later date but this damn angel that sits on my shoulder just WONT SHUT THE HELL UP!:D[}:)]

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Cerberus
thats not a choice then... get the leathers... the best money ull ever spend.. get a good set and it will last u for ever
Yeah I know. I just have to restrain myself from buying anything elses till I have the $$$.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you might consider getting 2 piece leathers for functionality...that way you can mix match things etc...

I even think most tracks will let you use 2 piece leathers as long as they zip togather

·
Registered
22 Posts
two piece leather are the way to go unless ur racing.. just make sure they zip all the way around.. some of the cheaper brand leathers will only zip at the back...

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
This a no brainer. Definitely buy the gear. :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i would buy performance since i have decent gear. im deciding on wether to keep my 01 and "sup" it up or buy a 03. if i buy the 03, then new gear would be my choice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
First, get high quality gear.

Second, suspension mods (rebuild forks, ohlins rear shock, steering dampner).

Third, engine performance mods.

You can argue what the second and third choices should be, but first you must have quality gear to protect yourself in case of an accident.

I high sided at 80+ MPH at a track day. Ruined gloves ($180) and helmet ($420), did $300 damage to leathers, walked away with no broken bones or spilled blood. Get good gear first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
[qoute] Right now I have 2 Textile Jackets with armor and steel toe boots. That's it. [/qoute]

If that is the case, I would buy some real boots and a jacket at the minimum. If you can do more..... A two piece suit as earlier suggested. If you can do even more then I would also go with a full one piece and a great helmet. After all of that is said and done then i would suggest getting a steering damper, as they have been some of my most important acqisitions!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I agree with mjahelka. Become a really good rider and you wont need the power. I am a good rider and all but I am sure EBOZ could beat me on a ex250 with me on my 636. So I say hone those skills first and the rest will fall in place. Oh yeah be safe get the gear.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i wanna get a full leather suit and some nice boots and a racing helmet....but i'll get those when i start racing....i got a red hjc cl-14 helmet, hjc leather jacket, jeans, red teknic leather gloves, and some leather riding boots

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
GEAR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.