Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '97 zx9r . I would like to have more power. ( thats a big suprise ). I have a full muzzy exhaust, K&N, Jetted, -1 in front, iridium plugs.

I plan on getting nitrous soon, but thats only power here and there. Turbo is too expensive right now($5000 or so, I think). What can I do for big power gains? Any body have a big bore kit installed, if so how much did everthing cost you. Also besides the big bore. What other options do I have?

Please give me some ideas and what they would cost about (if you know). THANKS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't the radiator still keep it the same tempature? I would think the fan would run more, but the same temp?

·
Registered
54 Posts
making the engine have more displacement will make it run hotter and the radiatior will not hadle more heat the readiator is made as small as pocible to keep the stock enigne cool while moving. If you are from the south or the west you know you have to keep an eye on the temp on a hot 95+ day. In other words its like taking the radiator out of a 4 cyl. car and puting it in a v-8 truck. It will run hotter. I am about to do the big bore myself on my 94.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeah were talking a few degrees hotter too help it cool you can allways have you exaust ceramic coated to help dont sit in alot of trafic and keep air flowing over the radiator and I saw some muzzy fanblades that are supose to keep it cooler I dont rember buy how much

·
Registered
399 Posts
yea ceramic coating the pipes helps ALOT i had it done to my pipes and now muzzy makes a aluminum fan that has 5 blades instead of the stock 4 for better cooling. im almost able to afford the big bore kit along with the full muzzy exhaust

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 01 with a Muzzy 998 Big Bore, the kit is awesome. The mid range gains over my old 98 are rediculous. Try using water wetter or engine Ice and the temps will stay down. I have never had a problem with overheating so far.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Superbike Mike also makes a billet big block kit for $2500. Makes it a 1050cc 13:1 comp. Bolt on with no machining. real nice piece. Coby Adams con also do a 5mm stroker crank, thats where its at!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you want a bigbore kit the Zlock kits are the most reliable by far. I know several people with tons of miles(street and track) that have had no problems whatsoever. The same can't be said about the other kits.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Originally posted by uncle zed
If you want a bigbore kit the Zlock kits are the most reliable by far. I know several people with tons of miles(street and track) that have had no problems whatsoever. The same can't be said about the other kits.
Zlock is good but other wise you are wrong

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I put a K&N filter in, iridium plugs and a high flow fuel filter. I expected to maybe feel a slight differance. WOW It started and ran smoother. I know many won't believe this, because its a '97, but its the truth. Just sittting normal on the seat and no quick throttle movement! I took off in first, at about 45mph the front end started to come up, I ran it out in first with the front tire about a foot off the ground, hit second the tire touched the paveent and came back up at about 75, I kept it about a foot off the ground, came up a little high so I let up just a tad. Hit third gear at 95, the front tire stayed in the air untill 110, it ran out of power to keep up a low wheelie. I have the usuall filter, jet fit, exhaust. But can a '97 do that without, having valve work done or something. I just got this bike a month ago. I noticed alot of different things done to it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my 94 came up at the end of the power curve about a foot 1st and 2nd on a weak motor, had bad cams, rings, and valves thats before the bad gas i bought took the motor out compleetly. Water + gas + engine = blown engine

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How hard is a nirous kit to install. And if I go with just a 30hp boost, would I have to worry about rods or anything? or 60 hp boost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dont know what you can go with all I know is that nos will shorten the life of your engine nomater what anyone says your throwing suddent acceleration at it and those engine for our bikes are like gold hard to find a good one I am having to find pices parts to fix my 94 and going to go bored over gonna put rods and cams in it as well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.