Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I ran out of gas yesterday, luckily a gas station was nearby to fill up. My question is how do i use my reserve? When I was riding the on was pointed up then when i ran out of gas i turned it to where the reseve pointed u but turns out it ate all my reserve as well. I just got the bike so if you guys can enlighten me with the petcock usage, it would really help.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well you should have had more than enough gas in the reserve (basically at the bottom of the tank) to get you to a close gas station. How many gallons of gas did your bike take? I believe our gas takns are 4.8 gallons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was no gas at all when it died. I turned the reserve switch in the 12 o clock position and still no budge, we pushed it manually and it rode for a few hundred feet and then totally died, the tank was empty. I'm thinking maybe I should check the lines but wanted to see the basics 1st like the position of the petcock.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sure you didn't accidentally run on reserve and when you swithced, u switched to on?

·
Registered
420 Posts
did u physically look inside the tank or shake the bike side to side to hear the gas slushing. it might be the petcock itself not switching over

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Stock setting is : Turning counter-clockwise all the way until it stops is "ON". Turning clockwise all the way until it stops is "RES". I hope this helps. Sounds as if you were running in reserve.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
While riding with the petcock in the "ON" position I've never rode farther than 185 miles, that's when it sputtered out and I switched to reserve. The shortest was 160 miles. If you go more than 200 miles you're more than likely burning through your reserve, unless you're riding in sixth and going 50 mph the whole time [:p].

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i checked it, no gas at all, shook it and everything. So where should the reserve point at if I want to use it? Does the zx6r have a owners manual online I can read?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just looked at my manual. RES should be straight up to your seat if you want to use reserve, aka 12 o'clock. Reserve is the last 1.1 gallons of gas in the tank, and it takes "30 seconds for the engine to start after the carbureators are dry." If the tank is dry (pretty easy to know if you have a gallon left) you might want to pull the tank and check that the petcock is working. Pull the fuel line off and look inside to see if the valve opens and closes properly, but first take a phillips head and remove your petcock knob to check that it isn't stripped. It should have a square fitting on the inside. If it is rounded, you might not be turning the valve at all. With the knob off, see if you can turn the shaft counterclockwise.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Originally posted by bennsb
Stock setting is : Turning counter-clockwise all the way until it stops is "ON". Turning clockwise all the way until it stops is "RES". I hope this helps. Sounds as if you were running in reserve.
So from what both of you have said especially nitetimebohler, it seems like you were running on reserve, then when you switched there was no gas as you have used the reserve!

lesson learned

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just checked and I was in the on position, but for some reason, it ate my reserve as well. I'm pretty sure it's the petcock so I will take i apart one of these days and see what's wrong with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.