Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I am thinking about painting my bike and wanted to get your input on the best approach when it comes to adding color to my rims. I am looking at the Lamborghini Orange as the primary color for the bike but wanted to paint my wheels. so this brings up 2 questions.

1) I know powdercoating the wheels is the best method but do you think they will be able to match the Lamborghini color pretty closely or
2) Should I just paint the rim and have the tire installer be very careful when putting it back on the bike?

I personally would like to get them painted because the last thing I want to have happen is when I get the wheels back they don't match the bike. What are your thoughts? If I paint them then we can just add a little more paint in the mix and hopefully save money. Last thing I want to do is see the wheel chipping, or scratching as time goes on.

Thanks for your input.

Oh and if anyone has a pic of a 2005 ZX-6R in that color please let me know.

Also, If anyone is good with Photoshop, I would love to see my bike ahead of time in that color I want. Please let me know and I will donate a photo for you to brush up on your technique with.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
As for the wheels, I've seen a couple guys do just paint on in the last few years of this forum with no big complaints. I'm sure one would have to be very careful when swapping tires though.

Pic 1, tooooo small. Pic 2, still pretty small and very a little fuzzy. I can find stock photos other places to use though so don't worry about it.
My photoshop killed itself awhile back and that's why I haven't gotten around to doing any, but I'll see what I can do this week with finding a newer version and getting on the ball, especially for a fellow KF oldie.

Lambo orange is exactly the color I wanted to use on my bike a couple years ago, but decided other hobbies should take the funding. Is this the color you're looking for?

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Powder Coating is definatly the way to go...its much more durable and will not chip nearly as easy as paint does. If you go to a good custom powder coat shop they will pretty much be able to match any paint you bring them. The easiest way is to just get the Lambo paint code and bring them a sample for what you need. Theres a place in the area that does 70 bucks a wheel...and I imagine that painting them, unless you do it yourself, would be around the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts