Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been lurking on here for a week or two because I had planned on getting this bike for a while. My buddy was tired of tinkering with it so he pretty much gave it to me. (100 bucks)

its got 7K original miles, its the silver/black/red paint scheme. The gauges mysteriously stopped working, the bike doesn't want to stay idle, the rubber hoses coming off the intake side of the carbs pretty much melted on the inside of the plastic air box, So I'm looking at buying a couple POD filters for now becuase there is obviously something wrong with the setup if there was enough heat created to melt the rubber connectors from the carbs to the airbox. One thing that bugs me is the tank, the bike was dropped and the tank was dented, its got exterior rust on it in a few spots, which isn't a big deal. I'm familiar with paint/body work, and rust on the inside of the tank since its been sitting empty for so long (this part bugs me becuase I don't want to be going through fuel filters every two weeks).

Any advice you guys could give me would be great. Looks like there are a lot of sweet carb'd ninjas on here! My name is Mark btw.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I'm gonna share an old hillbilly trick with you for that rust in the tank.
Clean the tank out the best you can, stick a couple of old speaker magnets on the bottom of the tank as close to the petcock as you can. The rust will be drawn to them & your problems will be over...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm all about some good hillbilly engineering. Looks like I can push/pull out the dents on the tank, paint the outside and throw some magnets underneath it and save myself 200 bucks that a new tank would cost me.

I'm guessing a good acid wash on the inside of the tank should do the trick to clean it out right?

Oh, and for parts sake, what year 600's are compatable with mine? is it 85-87 or 85-89?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I'm guessing a good acid wash on the inside of the tank should do the trick to clean it out right?
I used to use some nuts & bolts with a little water in a gas free tank. Just dry it out good when you're done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts