Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but i feel it's an EXTREMELY well written report on the topic of first bikes. if it's in a link somewhere, feel free to delete this, but otherwise, i would like the moderators to get it out there.

there's more advice in this 10 minute read than i EVER heard from all my friends when it came time for me to purchase my first bike.

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26786

·
Registered
336 Posts
all i can say is dam. never looked at it that way. nice read!!! [:M14]

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok, this is my fist post.
I am sorry to say that i did not do any research before buying my first bike. I just went by what other people told me, that a 600 was a small bike and a good one to learn on. I went to the dealership and they tried to put me on the 250 and 500, but when i saw the 636, i was in love. I wanted that bike. the other ones looked wimpy and dorky.
I wish i would have joined this group a wile ago, when I new i finaly had the money and credit to buy one. I learned alot from this forum in the short time i've bean a member. Im trying to learn as much as i can. I feel it will pry save my life, this machine is no joke. People tell me I'll want a bigger bike once i get used to this one...I dont know about that, its already unnesesarily fast for the streets, wich i kinda like, but when it gets up their in rpm's, i have to force my hand to roll off the throttle. Thats just seein quick what the bike will do one an empty stretch of road, witch i found out im not even ready for that on a damn airplaine runway.
Im 25 and have always wanted a sportbike. the closest thing i ever had to a motorcycle was a moped. If i could go back i think i would have gotten a smaller bike, instead of learning on this beast, but i sighned the papers, I realy do like the bike, and i would hate to sell it and loose a shitload of money. Im shure I will be fine, i have 13,000 miles on it now, i picked it up july 1st. all i think about is rideing, all i do in my spare time is ride, its the funest thing i've ever done.
my freinds that dont have bikes get sick of me talking about it.

I just had to let that out.
now im here, with my 636, such a beauty...hopefully ill be here for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congratulations on the first bike. your next step, if it hasn't been taken yet, is to take a class for your motorcycle endorsement. you wouldn't believe how much you learn, no matter how many miles you put on the bike.

i know that when it comes time to sell my ZX, i won't sell it to somebody new to motorcycles. the last thing i want on my mind is "that guy/girl is in the hospital cause i wanted to sell my bike quick and they thought they knew what they were doing"

every day is a learning experience.

have fun, don't outrun your headlights, wear all your gear, and keep an eye out for those pesky cagers!

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Excellent article(s). Couldn't have put it better myself.

RAS - my hat's off to you for being honest - your post may actually influence other new riders to make a more sensible choice. However - you sound suitably respectful of the monster you force into a semi-tamed state every time you mount up... good for you. As laughable as some people might consider it, your moped experience has no doubt aided you more than you know. 13k miles is considerable... I have to assume you mean July 1st 2005 - I don't know anyone who has put that many miles on a bike in less than a month, no matter how much they ride (I put almost 20k on my 9r the first YEAR I had it, and that was a lot, in my estimation). In any case, putting on the miles is one of the best ways to gain the experience that article talks about; the more you ride, the better you'll be able to handle your beast. The danger there is that even when you feel competent, you're probably not; modern sport machines are more than 90% of their owners are capable of handling at their peak performance levels. So don't get cocky as you feel better in control; that's when it will bite you on the ass. I KNOW that my bike will end me if I screw up in the least little bit. It has the juice to do it, and no conscience to reign it back.

If you haven't already, get into an MSF course. If not the basic course, you might want to look into the "experienced rider" class. Even though you have the miles, I'd recommend the basic first though, to well... get the basics. You'd be amazed at how many "experienced" riders don't know what countersteering is...they DO it, but they don't realize that they are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
im sorry, i meant 1,300 miles, oops.

Yea im definatly am saveing now for the rideing course. I think its like $180. I just spent all my money on gear, then the bills came in.
I also have to pick up a set of sliders, I hear im more than likely going to drop it.....or crash, shit i hope i just drop it.

A budy of mine got his first bike 2 weeks before me, and he droped it this morning. he picked up a honda 600rr.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by ras
im sorry, i meant 1,300 miles, oops.

Yea im definatly am saveing now for the rideing course. I think its like $180. I just spent all my money on gear, then the bills came in.
I also have to pick up a set of sliders, I hear im more than likely going to drop it.....or crash, shit i hope i just drop it.

A budy of mine got his first bike 2 weeks before me, and he droped it this morning. he picked up a honda 600rr.
LOL. well that's a bike of a different color... still, you're doing the best thing you can to improve your skills - riding! The more you do, the better you'll hone your skills. Just remember to stay sharp at all times & NEVER get so confident that you get complacent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
thnx everyone. I realize that cockyness can get you in trouble real quick. Im always ready for people to pull out in front of me. Im not real used to the bike yet, so i dont think id be that great in an emergency....I try to take it slow, and pretend people arent paying attention, well, i dont realy have to pretend, most of them dont. A 16 year old girl on her celly could very well be the end of me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
im so scared shitless and i have been ever since i agreed to buy a used 89 ninja zx600R.

a little backstory first.
i wanted a "bike project" where i started with a junker basically and fixed it up and learned "street riding" on.
i had someone post in the thread about this project and offered me this bike and a deal i couldnt refuse.

but now after reading this same "600cc=death or dismemberment" stuff im not so looking forward to getting the bike.

now for the excuses:
i am 6'4" and 240lbs so i do need bigger than a 250,more like a 500cc
im 35 years old and as you can tell i do respect power.
i did basically grow up riding dirt bikes most my life also
i drive standard tranny cagers also
i have no "need for speed" inspirations,more like cruise with miss daisy on a backroad.

i just went and had an eye exam for new glasses so i can see.
im gonna take the MSF course here in ohio
im buying as good as protective gear as i can.

what was supposed to be an extreamly fun experiance in my life is turning into a stressfull nightmare :(
i think since its an older 600R it will have less power than the new bikes.its not in pristine condition so i dont care if i drop it wich im sure i will as im told.i want it painted flat black anyhow.

i guess what id like to hear is ill probly live?
i want to enjoy this not stress over it,hell i wanted it to relieve stress in my life not create more.

ive visited a few bike forums and seem to like this one the best so i think if i live threw this you will see more posts by me.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do not freak yourself out over operating a motorcycle. more than anything, these are what i tell people:

1. have a healthy respect for the power of a motorcycle, even if it's older
2. wear your gear. you didn't buy it to decorate your garage
3. always remember, you are invisible to cars
4. take the MSF course
5. the old adage "better safe than sorry" works in just about ever situation

just general stuff you know? i can't guarantee things will go good for you in every situation, but it doesn't make a difference what's happening. i've suffered much more severe injuries in my car from another dumbass than i have putting the bike(s) down. as far as riding dirt bikes, it can't hurt to know how to operate them, but keep in mind they're completely different machines. personally, dirt bikes scare the living hell out of me, where i'm completely comfortable in the saddle of my ZX.

have fun! don't spend your time focusing on the negatives. you agreed to buy the bike because you wanted to enjoy the experience, remember that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i like #5 as this is why i posted this.
i wanna feel i did everything i can to prepare myself for this,as i tend to have made it hard on myself with the bike choice.

my bike will be here thursday and after some carb cleaning and tank draining it will be ready,even tho i wont.

i need to get my new eyeglasses back.
all the paperwork like the title,permit and insurance of course.
and go buy a helmet.the rest of the gear will be bought as i can afford it.
ill then be signing up for the MSF course.i really wish i had taken this prior as i know i wont be as steady and sure about myself,but i think alot will com naturally.alot wont!

all ill be focusing on while riding is everything around me.
not if i made the wrong choice.

i guess i just needed some encouragment,as everything i read has been nagative about my decision.
plus i cant wait to meet some new friends on the road.i know how that is a bit as i used to own a jeep.they are a rather friendly group of owners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi this is my first post. So I got a used ninja 250 and have put about 800 miles on it. I feel very comfortable with it and feel comfortable riding my dad's 650. I've always wanted the zx6r, so is it ok for me to get it now?

·
Registered
336 Posts
depends on how much experience you have on something other than the 250 (i.e. dirtbike) i know some prolly wont agree w/ me but thats just my 2 cents. and why would you want to put 800 miles on and then get rid of it? a ninja 250 is the lightest bike in the states and also the funnest! so get about another 3k on it then you will get your moneys worth out of it as a starter bike. age has a lot to do with it, it depends on how old and mature you are. a 600cc class are beasts! do you REALLY think you are ready to die?

·
Registered
44 Posts
its not that bad.
when your learning, just remember to keep the rpm's semi low.
the bike gets surpriseing power up above 8k.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Link to my post about my first bike and what I think: http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3624&whichpage=3

That said, Deathstar, I think you will be fine. Just take the advice other have given and take it slow as you explore your limits.

I did my first real run through some mountain twisties this weekend and I was impressed with both myself and the bike. :D
Of course I did find a time or two where I had to tell myself to take it easy when I started to get out of my comfort zone. A 250 is dangerous if you take it past the bikes limits and your skill level.

You dont sound like the typical "I wanna go fast and look cool" newbie 600cc rider.
Just stay comfortable and alert and respect the bike and you will be fine. Have fun and ride safe

·
Registered
13 Posts
madmike-ty for your advice.
i wasnt able to respond to anything as i traded my laptop for the bike.atm im on my x-wifes pc and reading the forums.

i got the bike a little over a week ago and has been an experiance in its own.
first the bike needed much carb cleaning before ever riding it.
then after that i found out why it was so hard to ride,me being a noob dumbass didnt check the tire pressure before riding and they had 0-psi but didnt look flat.
ive now learned to never take anything for granted.as i figured no-one would pass a bike down with no air in the tires.
i went 600 miles that way.
but it tought me to go slow and also pay close attention.
again i was a dumbass for missing that.but i never rode street bikes much before and didnt know what it should ride and handle like.
now its fine.i still have a small "miss" in the engine but im almost sure its plug wire related.

anyhow i dont think id ever suggest anyone learn on a 600cc bike.
luckily i have much self control and respect for my bike.
600cc bikes are damn missles,and mines an older 89 with less power than newer bikes.i cant ever see myself even wanting a 1L bike.

anyhow after 10 days ive put 1k miles on it.i love it and every minute my hands arent cramping up,most of that is due to me steering a bike with flats.[xx(]

i find most bikers are friendly on the road,but harley guys see a sport bike and seem to not care about anyone unless they are on a harley also.

anyhow i hope to buy a cheap craptop soon so i can get back on here and get answers on fixs for my bike when i need help in repairs.
i wanted a nice high end laptop but have ruled that out now in favour of saving a year or 2 for a newer bike.

anyhow ty to everyone with tips and advice for me.its been a big help in overcoming some fears of jumping in with a 600cc bike by accident.

btw i will be taking the msf course asap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.